Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Italian Rellies - help!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 27 Jan 2004 09:54

I think my grandfather may have come from Italy. He was born about 1890, anyone know what I do now? Marilyn

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 27 Jan 2004 18:09

Hi Jane His name was Ernest Challis. I have a record of his death in 1933 age 43 so must have been born 1889/90. He lived all his life in Edmonton, Middlx. My cousin has now told me that he "thinks" the family may have been from North Italy. I'd be really grateful for any ideas of where to start looking. Marilyn

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 27 Jan 2004 21:14

Hi Amanda I'm just not sure. Trouble is, I have so little information on him, can't find his birth or my grandmother's birth or their marriage. They may both be there but nothing "leaps out" at me as even being a possibility. Unfortunately, my grandmother's name was Mary Taylor and there are a lot of Mary Taylors out there!!! I've ordered his death certificate, so maybe there will be some info on that. Thanks for your interest Marilyn

Emma

Emma Report 27 Jan 2004 23:24

Marilyn Have you seen this on Freebmd? Births Jun 1889 Challis Ernest Braintree 4a 607 Challis Ernest John Edmonton 3a 313 Do you have the names of any of Ernest's siblings as I think I've the Ernest John Challis above on the 1891 census and can cross check against any known names. Emma.

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 28 Jan 2004 00:51

Hello Marilyn You could try typing italiansfhs into search and it will take you to a Handbook Update click on it then go into www.anglo-italiansfhs.org.uk You will find information that may help you. It has transcriptions from the 1841 - 1891 censuses of people from Italy who were in England. The census are updated each month. Plus plenty of other useful information if you have Italian ancestors. Good Luck Shirley

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 28 Jan 2004 14:49

Hi Emma Thanks very much for that! I can't get into freebmd, my pc won't let me access, but I double checked on 1837online and found the same one in Edmonton. I've sent off for that record and his death certificate, so fingers crossed its the right one. I think he had a brother, but no name so difficult to cross check, but thank you very much for the kind offer. Where do you get 1891 census info, is it online or do you have to buy the CDs? I have no Ernest Challis' turning up on 1901 in Edmonton. Thanks again Marilyn

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 28 Jan 2004 14:50

Hi Shirley Thanks for info - I'll check that one out right away! Marilyn

Helen in Berkshire

Helen in Berkshire Report 29 Jan 2004 12:32

Hi Marilyn I believe 'Your Family Tree' magazine's next edition in late February is planning an article on Italian ancestors - might be of use if you can wait that long! Regards and good luck Helen

Emma

Emma Report 29 Jan 2004 12:54

Marilyn I'm not sure if you can buy the 1891, however it's online at www.ancestry(.)co.uk, subscription only. You can find free trials for it if you hunt the 'net. Here are the details I found - not Edmonton but the closest I could find. From 1891 Edward Challis, head, mar, 50, market gardener labourer, Essex, ? Bumpstead Lydia, wife, mar, 48, Cambs Castle Camps Edward, son, 14 Tottenham Florence, daur, 11, Tottenham Edith, daur, 8, Tottenham Ernest J, son, 2, Tottenham William Smith, lodger, sing, 27, market garden labourer, Essex Binstead at 4 Williams Place, Tottenham, Middlesex From 1881 Edward CHALLIS Head M Male 40 Bumpstead, Essex, England Fetteller Lydia CHALLIS Wife M Female 38 The Castle Camp, Cambridge, England Alfred W. CHALLIS Son U Male 18 The Castle Camp, Cambridge, England Baker Martin CHALLIS Son Male 12 Tottenham, Middlesex, England House Boy (Dom) Elizabeth CHALLIS Dau Female 10 Tottenham, Middlesex, England Scholar Eliza CHALLIS Dau Female 8 Tottenham, Middlesex, England Scholar Alice CHALLIS Dau Female 5 Tottenham, Middlesex, England Scholar Edward CHALLIS Son U Male 4 Tottenham, Middlesex, England Floria CHALLIS Dau Female 1 Tottenham, Middlesex, England Robert BRATFORD Lodger U Male 20 Brent Pelham, Hertford, England Fetteler Source Information: Dwelling The Hale 15 R W C Station Rd Census Place Tottenham, Middlesex, England Family History Library Film 1341336 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 1383 / 47 Page Number 21 Emma.