Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is it worth it?? can they be trusted??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denise

Denise Report 27 Jan 2004 07:13

Has any other member of Genes put their family tree on the LatterDay Saints web-site? Thinking of doing it but not too sure.

Judy

Judy Report 27 Jan 2004 07:39

I, too, once thought of putting my tree on the LDS site and quickly changed my mind. Once you send them your information you have no control over it....by sending them your tree you pretty much give them permission to do what they want with it. Below are their terms and conditions as stated on their website: To submit your genealogy to FamilySearch Internet, you must agree to these conditions: 1. You have received permission from all living persons named in your submission to send their information to FamilySearch Internet. 2. You give us permission to publish your name and address as the contributor of the information you submitted. This helps others to coordinate research with you. 3. You give us permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute any of the information included in your submission without compensation and in any form we feel appropriate. You also give us permission to use information from your submission to create new databases. 4. You affirm that you have the right to give us permission to use the information in your submission, as described in these conditions. You accept legal responsibility for any permitted use made of the information you provide. 5. You agree that we are not responsible for any alteration, loss, damage, or corruption to your submission. 6. You agree that once you submit your genealogy to us, it becomes our property and cannot be retracted or returned. However, this does not limit your right to publish, sell, or give the information you submit to others. Attention Kids: If you are under 18, you must get permission from your parents before you send any information about yourself or others.

Denise

Denise Report 27 Jan 2004 07:57

Thank you Judy, the answer is quite simple, NO! Its a pity because the site has such a lot of information as we all know and I thought I would make my little contribution, never mind. Thanks for the help. Denise M/C

Irene

Irene Report 27 Jan 2004 18:56

What is it that you don't want them to do, I thought they they would put them on the site, also to store them, this is how we have been able to find families. It doesn't stop you doing what you want with your tree, they don't sell them do they. I probably wouldn't put any living people on for them to use, and as far as I can tell it would only be useful to people hunting the same family as you. Irene

Helen

Helen Report 27 Jan 2004 20:21

I too can't see what harm it could do. I'm sure the LDS aren't going to do anything to upset us all. What is it you're scared they will do? Your only giving them information that is available to everyone already and will help lots of others and could save other researchers some money. After all, where would we all be without the 1881 Census and IGI? I know we should all check out IGI records for ourselves but it does give us an idea of when and where to look. I am quite proud of the information I have gathered and would be happy to share it with anyone and everyone. I was generously given a huge branch for my tree by someone on this site but I have since added many twigs and given them back. Surely this is a hobby about sharing and helping each other? It can only be a good thing to add yours to the LDS site.

Judy

Judy Report 27 Jan 2004 20:40

It has nothing to do with "what am I afraid they're going to do with it?" Perhaps you missed #3 of their agreament: 3. You give us permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute any of the information included in your submission without compensation and in any form we feel appropriate. You also give us permission to use information from your submission to create new databases. The fact that I send them information that they can do what they want with it...to include modifying, copying and distributing it, and perhaps sell the information on CD or create other web sites that would include my information is what I have a problem with. My work, according to copyright law, is mine and if I want to share that with others and then change my mind and want to pull that information from a site, that is my right. Why would I authorize anyone to alter, copy or post all my hard work? There are plenty of places, like Genes Connected, where I can share my work at if I choice and pull that information if I choose. I whole heartly agree that the LDS site does a wonderful service, however, the information I obtained from them was a matter of public record. Not from family trees that were posted (Although I'm sure others have benefitted from the posting of other's trees.) Perhaps if they ammended their agreement clause there would be more who were willing to share their work at their site. Judy

Helen

Helen Report 27 Jan 2004 21:00

Judy Have you never put in a name on the initial search page? I'm sure we've all done that. The results include names listed in the ancestral file database which have been taken from 'trees'.

Judy

Judy Report 27 Jan 2004 21:11

I'm most familiar with how a search works. Like I said, my problem with posting my information at the LDS is their agreement. I can put in a name search and come up with many trees posted on the internet, at many different sites, that didn't require the poster to give up their rights to their work. I have my own tree posted to share with anyone who cares to view it on several sites that will come up when doing a name search, however, I have not given the site where it is posted permission to do anything with it other than post it....which is the way it should be.

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 28 Jan 2004 18:49

I don't want my name and addressed published. I certainly won't give it to a site which then can do what it likes with this information, without consulting me. And why the heck would they want to modify or alter my work? I wouldn't submit it unless I was sure it was accurate. I've seen some of the wild leaps of faith they make to link people, if it doesn't quite fit they hammer it until it does.

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Jan 2004 21:44

Having searched their site for a long time for several of my relations to no avail, I put my tree on there and lo and behold not long afterwards they sent me rmails to say that they had some of those I had been searching for on several CD's at a price!!! Ray

Judy

Judy Report 28 Jan 2004 21:57

Ray....Gee, I wonder if that had anything to do with their clause having to do with the fact they could duplicate, copy and distribute, modify, etc.... information sent to them via a posting of a tree on their site as they deem appropriately without compensation to the poster? I think I smell SCAM. Things that make ya go "hmmmm." LOL