Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lost A Rellie! Any Ideas?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 26 Jan 2004 22:39

Hiya, I've managed to ascertain that my Gt Grandfather was living in Birkenhead at the time of the 1901 Cesus. He was marrried (Edward & Hannah Dowell) and they had a 2 year old daughter( Gladys Mary). They were lodgers. Then I find on FreeBMD that the daughter appears to have died in December that year. I also found that entry on the 1837 site. Next I work back from my Grandfathers own Birth year 1910 to find his fathers next marriage - cost me an arm an a leg! Elation I find it, entered as 1907. Also matches cross ref with his known wife Jane Pritchard. so I know that wife No 1 disapears between the 1901 Cesus and the April/May/June quarter of 1907. I've searched every possible quarterly entry on 1837 and she doesn't seem to be there. Is it possible they divorced? I wouldn't have thought this would have happened very often back then. Or could it be a transcription error? I don't know where to look for her next :( Any Ideas? Sioux

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 26 Jan 2004 22:42

Suzanne could it be that they weren't married in 1901 but finally married in 1907??? just an idea Shelli

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 26 Jan 2004 22:58

Hi Shelli, I know through family that he was married 3 times! I knew that was going to cause me trouble. No all the dates and places are right for the first marriage, everything cross references fine. And there is enough time gap for the second marriage to have taken place. I just want to know where the first wife went! 'Tis all very mysterious :) I'm just hoping that the 1 remaining living rellie who can tell me anything about the possible 3rd marriage gets back to me, otherwise it'll be me camping at the records office for a week! Sioux

Irene

Irene Report 27 Jan 2004 01:15

Do you know the parish they were in, you could check the parish records, they I am sure will have the right details. There are mistakes in the indexing, remember that not all people could read or write, and the ones who could some not very well. I have found a differences in the details from the church records and the certificates. Ages are one so it does pay to check with the parish. And the spelling well, (shouldn't talk to loud as mine isn't to hot) Irene

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 28 Jan 2004 14:24

OOPS! Thanks susan for pointing out my typo! I typed in the wrong name. Edward and Jane were Edward jr's parents! I should have typed in Hannah as you so rightly pointed out, and Yes they married in St Asaph. You are a sweetheart for looking though. Thank you for bothering. I'll have to go and change it now. Sioux