Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

missing from the 1881 census - help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris

Chris Report 26 Jan 2004 18:28

I have found rellies on the 1891 census, Alfred H Coeling born Birmingham c 1863 and his wife Sophia nee Botterill born Birmingham c1864. I have found their marriage from freebmd in 1882, but both are missing from the 1881 census. I have read some clever tips on this GC board and have tried all sorts of combinations but without success. They would have been single in 1882 so Sophia would have been a Botterill then. Where are they? Any help greatly appreciated. Chris(tine) Vearncombe in Cheltenham

Janet

Janet Report 26 Jan 2004 18:35

Could this be him? Names, especially unusual names, are often transcribed wrongly into the index: Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability Edward COLLINS Head M Male 50 Birmingham Leather Case Manufr Employg 3 Persons Mary J. COLLINS Wife M Female 42 Birmingham Alfred COLLINS Son U Male 20 Birmingham Leather Case Manufr (In Fathers Employ) Frank COLLINS Son Male 18 Birmingham Light Porter (In Fathers Employ) Isabella COLLINS Daur Female 24 Birmingham (In Fathers Employ)(Leather) Bertha COLLINS Daur Female 14 Birmingham Scholar Sarah Alice COLLINS Daur Female 11 Birmingham Scholar Ada F. COLLINS Daur Female 5 Birmingham Scholar Source Information: Dwelling 52 Conybere St Census Place Aston, Warwick, England Family History Library Film 1341720 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 3015 / 13 Page Number 19 Jan

Chris

Chris Report 26 Jan 2004 18:48

Many thanks Jan, I did see that one, but don't think its him, only a hunch but he was a pearl worker in 1891 and I think it more likely he would have stayed with the family business. Sorry also from his baptism from freebmd his father was Charles and mother Mary. Cant remember if Ive done a search for them on 1881 will have a quick look, i don't think I could find them either. Chris Vearncombe

Jane

Jane Report 26 Jan 2004 18:50

Christine, think i've definately found Sophia for you...........in prison. there is a Sophia Batterill listed as an inmate in Birmingham prison, born 1864 in Birmingham. also found an Alfred Collin in Stafford, b. 1866, Birmingham, He is living with parents, but their surname is Wright, as is all the other children!!!! Hope its of some help to you Jane

Annie

Annie Report 26 Jan 2004 18:51

Hi You may not want to know where Sophia Batterill was in 1881! Maybe this is not she ...... Good luck Ann

Chris

Chris Report 26 Jan 2004 19:02

Wow thanks Jane and Ann, talk about skeletons. I am definately going to have to look into this. Don't know how to go about it yet but will post if I find anything out. Thanks so much. I would never have thought of looking in jail Chris Vearncombe

Crista

Crista Report 27 Jan 2004 03:47

Chris, I think you mean Coleing and not Coeling? Crista

Christine

Christine Report 27 Jan 2004 10:02

Crista Yes ofcourse I meant Coleing, it just shows how easy it is to make a mistake, and I was trying to be careful! Chris Vearncombe

Christine

Christine Report 27 Jan 2004 10:06

Ros in Reddich Do you mean the 1881 Census on fiche, and if so is that at Birmingham Central Library? I can see I will definately have to plan a trip especially if they have Winson Green Prison records. Thanks Chris Vearncombe