Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how do you know house no?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracy

Tracy Report 26 Jan 2004 17:44

Hi all, I have the 1881 & 1891 of a family im researching, but from this information how do you know the house number they lived at as i cant see that it says it, or am i missing something? Please advise me, thank you Tracy

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 26 Jan 2004 18:02

Hi Tracy, I've had a couple where for the address it says "cottages" and nothing else except for the area I thought maybe not every house had a door number, especially if it was in a village where everyone knew everyone else! Naomi

Anne

Anne Report 26 Jan 2004 21:00

I have been looking at several small towns/large villages and there is hardly ever a number. For example for Ampthill, Bedfordshire it just says 'Dunstable Street' next to dozens of houses. The only way to find out roughly where they were is to work back from a known place like a pub name or other street joining. Even then its very difficult to know which direction the enumerator was going! Very frustrating! Anne

Valice in

Valice in Report 26 Jan 2004 23:13

My great grandparents lived in a house which on 1901 census and some old postcards from around that date was numbered 79. Mum & I seemed to remember the house as 97 as my great aunt continued to live in the house in my lifetime. Went back recently to take a look and it is 97 (proved it is the right one,by a house name etched in the gatepost) So that means the houses must have been renumbered at some stage.

Tracy

Tracy Report 27 Jan 2004 00:29

Thank you all very much for your comments, i wasn't sure if it was just me missing something, but at least i now know im not alone. The family im researching are in a little village and that village is still as small today. Out in marston moretaine bedfordshire. So i may go for a walk round one weekend and have a look for myself.. so long as the residents dont think theres some mad woman squinting looking at their homes.. Thanks alot Tracy

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Jan 2004 07:40

Walking in the village seems the best idea. If you look at a fuller view of the census you may find significant buildings, eg. vicarage, mill etc. to give you some idea of enumerator's route. Last year I looked in a small Welsh valley town for the family home as shown on 1891 census. I had a house number in a street. A helpful local chap told me there had never been that number, and the steep geography seemed to endorse that. Consulting old maps we realised that the enumerator probably added house numbers 'back home' and had written house numbers according to how many households were before it on his schedule.Family birth certificates for 1890 and 1893 suggest we eventually got the right house.