Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Norton Anti Virus - Glitch?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Judy

Judy Report 26 Jan 2004 17:35

I check Norton's Live Updates, even though I have Norton set to automatically download and install any new virus definitions. I was recently getting a pop up from Norton advising me that there were needed updates that needed to be downloaded. I went to Live Update only to get the message that there were no updates to be had. I mentioned this to a technician I know and he said to go to http(:)//www(.)symantec(.)com - Norton's Symantec site, and check for updates there. Low and behold, there were new virus definitions to be had that were not available using the Live Update feature of Norton on my computer. You can tell if you're getting the latest updates by clicking open your Norton icon (located in the bottom, right hand corner of your screen.) Click on Live Update - download and install any definitions that are available. When that is complete, look at your last virus definitions update, date. Then go to the site mentioned above. 1. Click on DOWNLOAD VIRUS DEFINITIONS. 2. Click on DOWNLOAD VIRUS DEFINITIONS (INTELLIGENT UPDATER ONLY.) 3. Click on DOWNLOAD UPDATES to your C Drive/Programs File/Norton File. Now go back and click open your Norton Icon again and you'll see the virus definitions date now matches that of the site. I've gone to the site twice in the last few weeks only to find that, for whatever reason, Norton Live Update was not retrieving all the available virus definitions....a Norton glitch? Judy

John

John Report 26 Jan 2004 19:03

I've had the same problem Judy and solved it in the same way. John

Simon

Simon Report 26 Jan 2004 19:25

Judy I've also had the same problem and thanks to your message just solved it although I took a slightly differnet approach which was to turn off the automatic live update and then to turn it back on again and then retried the virus definition update again. It worked, but I'm not impressed that I went at risk for 5 days. Have you complained? Regards Simon in Munich

Judy

Judy Report 26 Jan 2004 20:46

Hi Simon, No I haven't complained as I thought perhaps since others knew to go to the site and update, perhaps it was something I just missed keeping up on. I also, being somewhat (and I use the word loosely! LOL!) techy, I use unconventional paths to obtain most of the programs I use....ie, I don't pay for any of the usual "you pay to get" programs. I use a shareware program called Kazaa Lite K++ to get the programs, music and games that I want, without costing me a penny, or a euro....LOL. There are similar programs like Kazaa Lite K++, including different versions of Kazaa, but the Kazaa Lite K++ is the only one I am aware, at this time, that blocks your IP address from the cyber police (which the music industry is the only one policing, so program and game sharing is pretty much safe.) You have to know someone who has the link, or be well versed on the internet to get the Kazaa Lite K++ program as it is pretty hard to find due to the music industry....if interested e-mail me and will advise how to get. Judy

Simon

Simon Report 28 Jan 2004 11:12

Judy Have emailed you direct Regards Simon in Munich

Judy

Judy Report 31 Jan 2004 07:22

The reason some updates are readily available via Norton's live update (found on Symantec site.) Differences between LiveUpdate and the Intelligent Updater Situation: The two most common ways to update virus definitions are LiveUpdate and the Intelligent Updater. This document describes these two methods, how they differ, and how they can help you decide whether you should use LiveUpdate (recommended for most users) or download definitions by using the Intelligent Updater. Solution: How often are virus definitions posted? During "non-alert" situations, Symantec Security Response posts virus definitions to the LiveUpdate servers once per week (usually Wednesdays). However, during "alert" situations, virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers as soon as they have completed full quality assurance testing. In addition to the weekly definitions that are distributed by LiveUpdate, virus definitions are made available for (optional) manual download on a daily (Monday through Friday) basis using the Intelligent Updater. The following information will help you determine whether you should obtain the optional (manually downloaded) Intelligent Updater updates or whether you should wait until the next release of definitions by LiveUpdate. LiveUpdate LiveUpdate is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions. These virus definitions have undergone full quality assurance testing by Symantec Security Response and are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually Wednesdays) unless there is a major virus outbreak. This is the easiest option for most home and small business users, and it provides a very high level of protection along with ease of use. Intelligent Updater Intelligent Updater virus definitions have undergone full quality assurance testing by Symantec Security Response. They are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). They must be downloaded from the Symantec Security Response download virus definitions page and installed manually. For additional information, read the document "How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater." Which one should you use? LiveUpdate In most cases, if you are a home or small business customer who practices safe computing, LiveUpdate's weekly (except during a major outbreak) definitions provide an excellent balance of protection, coupled with ease of use. It is not necessary for you to download and install Intelligent Updater definitions daily. Symantec receives samples of new viruses every day, and each day we build new definitions for these viruses. In many cases, these viruses are not in the wild, or if they are, they have a very low incidence of infection. If Symantec Security Response detects a virus in the wild that is spreading rapidly, we release LiveUpdate packages immediately to fully protect our customers. Intelligent Updater Users who benefit most from downloading and installing Intelligent Updater virus definitions on a daily (Monday through Friday) basis are: Corporate network administrators who manage a large number of computers Home or small business customers who practice potentially risky computer practices, such as opening email attachments from unknown senders or downloading files from newsgroups or unknown Web sites Can you use both? Yes, you can. For example, if you are using a Symantec product such as Norton Antivirus 2004 that includes the Automatic LiveUpdate, you can have it automatically download updates. (This is the default is for Automatic LiveUpdate, to automatically download updates.) Or, if you choose, you can run LiveUpdate manually. In either case, you can also download and run the Intelligent Updater at any time. You do not have to choose one or the other. Technical Information:

Bob

Bob Report 31 Jan 2004 12:29

Malcolm. There is a better way.... Subscribe to Norton. It is money well spent. Bob