Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I copy over other trees.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rory

Rory Report 26 Jan 2004 16:05

Hi - to save duplicate work, how can I copy over whole chunks of other trees? I know about linking, but linked trees don't seem to get taken into account when listing, say, relatives or ancestors. Thanks Rory

BrianW

BrianW Report 26 Jan 2004 16:17

I don't think you can copy directly.

Judy

Judy Report 26 Jan 2004 18:04

Hi Rory, By copying parts of trees, do you mean using existing information in a tree you've built using a family tree program into a different family tree program? I use several different tree programs because of the various reports each program allows. I can input information using one tree program and export that information into .ged format. I can then open that .ged formatted file using another tree program and all the information from one program is accessible through the other tree program. I haven't had to duplicate my work to take advantage of several tree programs only having to input once. Family Tree Maker will allow you to take pieces of your tree and export it as a .ged file if you're only interested in "copying" part of you work. If you want to take a .ged file, say that someone sent you or you found on the internet, to save the time of retyping that information into your tree, you would then "import" the .ged file into your tree. Judy

Daniel

Daniel Report 27 Jan 2004 10:21

Can you clarify what you are asking ? I read it like this - I have a tree loaded onto GC ( one branch) - now I would like to load a second branch, but without deleting and reloading first branch. Well, that is would I would like to do anyway.

Judy

Judy Report 28 Jan 2004 05:50

Nancy: If I recall correctly, when I updated my own information on GC, I had to remove the original posting and then re-upload it in order to update. Judy