Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What to do?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 26 Jan 2004 15:25

I have found the birth of my GG Grandmother on 1837 online but unfortunately it is in one of the handwritten books and the volume and page numbers are unclear. I want to order a cert but without this information it costs more and I have already paid to search in the first place. What shall I do? Naomi

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 26 Jan 2004 15:28

Hi, I order certs by telephone and tell them what is unclear. It doesn't cost any extra and I haven't had any problems getting the certs I need. Gwynne

Adrian

Adrian Report 26 Jan 2004 15:36

Hi Naomi, I've had lots of success with freebmd.rootsweb(.)com, as it says on the label, it's free. Their transcriptions are not yet complete, but what they have are very good. The search result gives you all the references needed to order a certificate from col.statistics.gov.uk. online. They seem to have only completed 40% of births in 1837 but perhaps your GG Grandmother will be there. Good luck. Adrian Small

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 26 Jan 2004 16:51

Hi Adrian, I checked FreeBMD first but the birth was in Jun 1844 and it seems they have only transcribed just under 30% of births for that year and mine isn't there. Cheers anyway Naomi

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 26 Jan 2004 16:52

If the registration district is legible then you can order direct from the registry office concerned as you don't then need volume and page numbers. They are usually quicker as well!

Sue (Sylvia Z )

Sue (Sylvia Z ) Report 26 Jan 2004 18:24

Hello Naomi, I have sent you an e-mail in response to yours, hope you received it. Sue