Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What is NAVAPW32.EXE Do I have a problem???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 26 Jan 2004 13:20

Just lately, periodically, on start up, before I have clicked on anything, I'm getting the connection box coming up saying "NAVAPW32.EXE has requested access to the internet" It is very difficult to get rid of, I close it and close it, but it keeps coming back! When I'm closing down, after I have 'disconnected' from the internet, the same thing comes back again. Has this happened to anyone else? Do I have a virus or something? I'm really not very good with the technical side of computers, any help would be much appreciated. Christel

BrianW

BrianW Report 26 Jan 2004 13:33

It's Norton Antivirus autoprotection for Windows 95/98/ME. Probably needs internet access enabled to do an update.

David

David Report 26 Jan 2004 15:35

Hi Brian What a relief, thank you SO much!! I do check for updates every week, in fact did it yesterday (and there wern't any) Just seems very odd that it's been happening for about 3 weeks now. Once again thank you Christel :)

BrianW

BrianW Report 26 Jan 2004 16:21

If you aren't certain what a programme is, put the name in Google and nine times out of ten it'll have some info. on it. On the other hand, if you haven't got Norton anti-virus installed and a programme that says it's Norton is trying to access the internet then you DO have a problem !

David

David Report 26 Jan 2004 18:44

Now why didn't I think of that (Google I mean).....great tip, thank you. I certainly do have Norton.....saved my bacon no end of times!! :)

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 27 Jan 2004 17:25

Christel Are you on Tesco Net by any chance. The same thing has just happened to me. Except the message is MSIMN.EXE. iT stated earlier ( in the bottom of the box ) something about a dialler update downloaded sucsessfully. The message at the bottom is now," Updating help file download complete. It still has the same MSIMN.EXE message appearing. I have not got Norton antivirus...I have AVG. I noticed that the little computer icon that flashes when Im online has been replaced with a "T" ( for Tesco net ) With flashing lines around it in its place. I have emailed support & await a reply. Im sure it has something to do with their updating the system....I Hope ! Elaine x

Judy

Judy Report 28 Jan 2004 00:15

Elaine.... What you have, if a dialer, won't be picked up by Norton or AVG as it's not a virus....it's a program. First try to uninstall the program (not delete it.) 1. Click on Start 2. Click on Control Panel 3. From the list choose ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAM 4. See if you can locate the SMIMN.EXE and choose to remove it. If you can't find the file, it may be hidden within a folder. Search your computer for it by: 1. Click on Start 2. Click on SEARCH 3. Click on ALL FILES AND FOLDERS In the first field type in the name of what you are looking for, in this case SMIMN.EXE. Leave the second field blank Third field, make sure it says LOCAL HARD DRIVE C. Use the "v" at the end of the field and scroll if Local Hard Drive C is not already there. 4. Click on SEARCH Your computer will scan and find anything with the SMIMN.EXE name and advise you where it is. If the file is not listed in the ADD and REMOVE PROGRAMS list, after you locate the program using the search feature, right click on it and see if an unistall option is there. If you don't have Ada-ware, you should consider putting it on your computer. If you have it, update the definitions and then scan your computer. Adaware should find and remove it. Judy