Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just Starting - tips Sheffield

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 26 Jan 2004 12:51

Hi, I am just starting out with my family tree and I have noticed that there seems to be quite a bit of area specific information. Does anyone have any tips on websites specific to Sheffield / South Yorkshire. I am interested in surnames Bolsover, Palmer, Cupitt for starters. Thanks Lisa (Sheffield)

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jan 2004 12:59

Wherever you are Start with the genuki website or ffhs (federation of family history societies) websites to get to the town you want. Lots of stuff like censuses and church records have already been indexed by local societies. Also www(.)TownNameHere(.)gov(.)uk will usually lead you to local history links from their library sections. Pauline

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 26 Jan 2004 16:27

Do you also know about FamilySearch? http://www(.)familysearch(.)org (remove brackets) There are quite a few Bolsover from Sheffield on that site.

mab

mab Report 26 Jan 2004 16:39

Lisa, the Sheffield Family history Soc has some useful publications and pointers to other sources at http://sheffieldfhs.org.uk/ Marian

Andy

Andy Report 26 Jan 2004 23:34

Hi Lisa, I have an aunt and uncle that are called Cupitt and are from and live in Sheffield.