Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Could we be searching for the wrong ancestors?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 26 Jan 2004 08:27

Having just read Patricia's thread about birth certificates, a thought came to mind. A recent hospital survey found 1 in 15 babies born did not really have the father who was named on the birth certificate. I suppose this has always happened, so how many of us are claiming ancestors who aren't really theirs?

Barbara

Barbara Report 26 Jan 2004 09:58

Well theres no doubting who the father of my two boys is as they are the spitting image of their dad! lol If only we could have pictorial evidence of our ancestors then we'd know for certain! Oh the doubt and indecision! Cheers for that, really set me up for the day :-(

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 26 Jan 2004 10:59

Talking to someone a few days ago and she say's she's only interested in the female line of her tree because you can always trust who your mother was but you'r never realy sure of the father!! Hmm! Sue.

Daniel

Daniel Report 26 Jan 2004 11:20

I agree entirely with original post. I think it is very likely. But Sue ... In this day and age of assisted conception you can't always be sure who the mother is. I have a child conceived via IVF and frequently go through paranoia stages that the child is not genetically mine. This is partly due to hearing about mistakes being made and partly due to the fact that I don't think child particularly looks like either of its parents. Note - child referred to as child or it to retain anonymity !

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 26 Jan 2004 11:36

To Name Withheld - You should not feel badly in any way - Just know that you were prepared to go through with all those prceedures to have a truly LOVED and WANTED baby - Best wishes to you and your family Sue

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 26 Jan 2004 11:45

My Grandmother married a man and had a legitimate child by him. However the marriage broke down, and she had a relationship with another chap, who is the genetic father of my mother. Because my grandmother had not divorced her first husband, my mother was registered by my grandmother as being the child of the first husband, even though they were no longer together! My mum discovered this to be the case, so fortunately for me, I have not been misled into believing that her maiden surname came from her genetic father. However, it does mean that I am prevented from discovering my roots on my real grandfather's side of the family. It's such a shame, because my (now deceased) mum always wanted to know who her real father was, but because of her false birth registration and my grandmother's refusal to talk about it, she had no way of knowing his name and it caused her real distress. So yes, a lot of us could very well be searching for the wrong ancestors! Dierdre X

Irene

Irene Report 26 Jan 2004 23:50

Who should we look like but ourselves of course, we can be copies of centries back but not know it. My cousins son does not look like either parent, (noticed by the grandmother) but as I pointed out to her if she saw one of the other cousins sons they are so alike. That did make her feel better. But why do some children look like their parents and not others its so strange. I have recently been able to get a picture of an ancestor who went to the states in the 1850's this picture must have been taken around the 80/90's he looks so like my dad or should I say my dad looked like him. Anyway I think its fun, so I will continue to believe my ancestors are who I think they are. I suppose we could have dna test done to prove it. Irene

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 26 Jan 2004 23:59

Don't panic if your child looks nothing like you. My friend has very ginger hair, but none of her parents, grandparents or cousins do. However, my friend's grandmother distinctly remembers HER mother having a shock of bright orange hair! Genes hide themselves for generations. Just because your kids haven't got that terrible deformity Auntie Flo had, doesn't mean it has gone away forever. Conversely, I heard that 10% of babies did not 'belong' to their fathers. Some of my rellies remarried with indecent haste, which makes me wonder how close they were to one another when their first husband/wife was still alive...

Daniel

Daniel Report 27 Jan 2004 10:10

Sue in Sussex Thanks for your kind words. Also thanks to the others for mentioning that sometimes a child does not look like parents - dormant genes etc. My child does show some other possibly inherited attributes, so I am sure I am wrong to have doubts. I am not so vain that I want child to have our looks anyway !

BrianW

BrianW Report 27 Jan 2004 10:16

Good friends of ours (godparents to our kids) have five children. NONE of them look anything like either their parents or siblings.

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 27 Jan 2004 10:48

After making contact with a distant relative on here and receiving information it turns out I have been barking up the wrong tree. Literally! I have the correct GGG Grandfather but it turns out two of his sons both had sons themselves and both called them same name and they wore born in the same year! So the one I though was my GGrandfather isn't it was his brother! Naomi

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 27 Jan 2004 13:45

I don't agree you can trust who your mother was, before 1837 anyway. There must have been illegitimate kids who were baptised by their adopted parents, with no record that they weren't the real parents In my tree I've got a couple who only had the one child, and that was after 13 years of marriage. Medical miracle, or adopted? Or maybe the husband was infertile and some other man did the honours, with or without the husband's knowledge I'm not that bothered. The boy inherited his station in life and the family business from his "official" father -- so if I want to know about his social roots, that's the line I need to trace Genes are a modern obsession. People didn't used to think they mattered much. Social position was everything, but you inherited that from your ostensible parents, not your genetic parents. They're the ones who influenced the later story of the family