Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What's gedcom?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie,

Julie, Report 25 Jan 2004 23:28

I have entered a lot of info. onto my tree but now want to print it out. A lot of people have recommended Family Historian and I have downloaded a demo version. Should I have put my info on this Gedcom thing first? Can I put my info into gedcom from this site and then transfer it to Family Historian? I am trying to save myself having to type all the info. out again as I have compiled quite an extensive tree. Any advice on good software that produces hard copy with photos and looks 'pretty', gratefully received. I am as keen about visual info. as about the text.

Simon

Simon Report 26 Jan 2004 00:29

Hi Julie I have just posted a reply to the thread "Gedcoms and so on" on this board, which I think will also be of use to your query in this thread. As far as software is concerned, I am a user of Family Historian and recommend it wholeheartedly at least as a programme for recording your information. I have not really used the programme extensively for diagram printing as yet, but I do understand it to be one of the most powerful software packages currently on the market for exactly that. Clearly, it depends on your printer capabilities as well although there are print shops that can do it for you from your GEDCOM file. If you need any further advice on what Family Historian can do in particular, then I suggest you take a look at the online User Group and specifically the Forums section, as there have been several threads covering the printing part of your message, ie what printers to use, changing text schemes, adding pictures, what info to include alongside names and so on. Website is www.familyhistorian.ip3(.)com removing brackets as always and then clickon "forums". Hope this helps Simon in Munich