Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP PLEASE!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bridget

Bridget Report 25 Jan 2004 20:21

I am off to visit my roots next Thursday Rotherham/Sheffield. I have addresses and I know the roads still exist which is good but I want to trace where my gt and gt gt grandads are buried. I am pretty sure it could be St Thomas's Churchyard in Kimerworth, can anyone advise how I find out when I am there? Also I have an address that my nan was living at in Sheffield about 1927/8, how can I check who was living at that address at that time? Electoral rolls? How do I get access to these? Im so excited about going up to where my nan spent her childhood until she was 11yrs old (her dad died then and they were all taken back to Ireland as her mum was Irish) and my gt and gt gt grandad lived in Rotherham after leaving West Brom, dont know when but know it was between 1881 and 1892 because my gt gt grandad died in Rotherham in 1892. Any help really appreciated.

Andy

Andy Report 25 Jan 2004 21:57

Hi, Im from sheffield, I maybe able to help. To view the electoral rolls for sheffield, you will need to visit the The Local Studies Library in the centre of sheffield. Sheffield Local Studies Library Central Library Surrey Street Sheffield S1 1XZ tel: 0114 273 4753 fax: 0114 273 5009 see the following link: http://www(.)sheffield(.)gov(.)uk/in-your-area/libraries/sheffield-archives/collections/family-history-sources/electoral-rolls and following multimap link http://uk2(.)multimap(.)com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&db=pc&addr1=&client=public&addr2=&advanced=&addr3=&pc=S11XZ&quicksearch=S1+1XZ&cidr_client=none remember Remove the 1st two brackets. (You can zoom in and out of multimaps and print them off if you like.) I have found the address for KIMBERWORTH (St Thomas) 148 Church Street Kimberworth Rotherham S61 1EP tel: 01709 554441 Maybe if you phoned them they maybe able to advise you further. Hope this helps Andy

Helen

Helen Report 25 Jan 2004 22:13

I'm also in Sheffield and have a local A-Z so can look up if any streets still exist if you need. If so, I might be able to tell you if it's likely the same house is still there or not.