Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TRYING TO PRINT

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrea

Andrea Report 25 Jan 2004 19:01

Can anybody help, I am wanting to save my tree into a Word document, so I can then print it off, but I seem to be having a bit of trouble doing so. How does anyone else print their family trees. Is there a special package I need? Thanks.

Judy

Judy Report 25 Jan 2004 19:10

Andrea: What type of, if any, program are you using to generate your tree? Different programs generate different formatted reports and different ways to print them out. Judy

Andrea

Andrea Report 25 Jan 2004 19:23

I am only using the Genesconnected site at the moment. I am new at this, so don't know about any other packages, but I would be grateful for more information.

Bob

Bob Report 25 Jan 2004 19:37

Andrea GC doesn't offer very good support for printing. Most people use a seperate prog to store details on their own computer and print from that. Bob

Andrea

Andrea Report 25 Jan 2004 19:40

Please can anybody tell me what packages they use, as I am eager to print off my information..........thanks.

Sidami

Sidami Report 25 Jan 2004 19:51

Hi Andrea, Why don't you download the free one from Family Search it is called PAF you can print off lots of things from that. Sue............

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 25 Jan 2004 19:55

Hi Andrea, I've only been at this 3 weeks and I'm totally hooked! I'm using a program called Heredis which I got free on the front of 'Your Family Tree' magazine, January issue and it seems to do everything I require - but then again I'm a novice :) You could try familysearch.org and downlaod their free software and lots of people say its very good. Click on the order/Download products tab at the top of the screen. Happy hunting Sioux

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 25 Jan 2004 19:55

Ahhhh Sue we posted at the same time :)

Judy

Judy Report 25 Jan 2004 21:08

Genopro has an excellent free program that can be found at www(.)genepro(.)com - remove the brackets when entering in your browser. You can add information, pictures, and documents. It generates both .ged and html formatted reports. Judy

Judy

Judy Report 25 Jan 2004 23:47

Karen, You downloaded the program and then it needs to be installed. After the installation there should be an icon on your desktop. Click it to open the program. 1. When the program is open you see a white, gridded screen. 2. Place your mouse on the white grid and RIGHT click. 3. A drop down box will appear with choises.....New Male, New Female, New Marriage, Family Wizard. Click on the choose. 4. New Male and New Female, when clicked on will bring up a highlighted box that will move around as you move your mouse.....just click on the grid to make it stop moving. 5. Once the empty box is there, double click on the box and a large box for inputting information will appear. Enter the information you have on the person and click OK. Now the empty box you started with has the persons name and birth and death date showing. You can double click on the box to read all the information you inputted. The inputted information will also show in the reports that the program will generate for you....another lesson via e-mail when you get to that step. 6. To add to the persons branches, place your mouse over the link (person) you just created and RIGHT CLICK. A drop down box will appear with choices such as New Mate, New Son, New Daughter, New Parents, etc.....the steps are repeated as above as you build. There are options at the top of the screen, under EDIT to undo the last step you did, if you wish to undo it. As your tree gets larger, it gets harder to scroll the progam to find a name already inputted that you may want to add information or pictures to. At the top of the screen go to EDIT, click on FIND and input the name you are looking for. When the name comes up, click on it and it will take you to the input box of that person on the grid. Play with the features at the top of the screen to see the things the program can do for you. Any questions or problems I'm just an e-mail or instant message away. I use the free AIM instant messaging program, screen name Kabudy if you want one on one help in real time. The program is extremely easy to use...once you know a few tricks. Judy

Margaret

Margaret Report 26 Jan 2004 09:35

Karen Sorry, but i'm afraid that you are going to have to type it all in again on your genealogy program. You can't transfer data from GC to another program. You can transfer to GC but not from. Just another one of the little niggles with this site. Margaret

N

N Report 26 Jan 2004 11:02

Is Genopro v1.91 any better than 1.90 ? I have just tried it with a tree of only 156 names and even then it overlaps. I don't want to have to manipulate it. But I would like a printing package that can show all relations - i.e not just Descendants or direct ancestors.

Margaret

Margaret Report 26 Jan 2004 16:48

Karen There is the one from the LDS site and Legacy. I tried them both and deleted them I suppose its what you are used to. I have used Generation 8.5 for a long time now and are very pleased it. There are lots on the market, family tree maker etc. Obviously you don't get the same stuff with a freebie and one that is bought, but I know with Legacy you can pay for an upgrade to get more features. I got Generations from TWR computing. You'll find that via Google Margaret

Andrea

Andrea Report 26 Jan 2004 20:00

Thanks for all your help guys. I have just tried the familysearch.org site, but haven't a clue which one I need to download can anybody help ......... again.......it would be much appreciated......thanks.

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jan 2004 23:14

Hi Andrea, PAF 5 is the one you want from Family search. I use it and find it OK. Very easy to understand, being computor novice. Margaret

Sidami

Sidami Report 27 Jan 2004 00:03

Hi Karen, I think you will be pleased with the PAF just play around with it, if you make a mistake you can always delete, you can do print outs from it also you can put it into a book form once you have your information on it. Sue..............

Teresa-Green-Gables

Teresa-Green-Gables Report 27 Jan 2004 10:39

I'm using PAF5, and its very easy to use, I have Irish ancestors, and they all seemed to have at least 5 and as many as 11 children, and so did their parents and theirs before, and all using the same names, but PAF5 makes sense of it. But I have now reached a limitation with the program and that is that I can only print out one 'branch' at a time, and I want to print out the tree for others, so I have been looking for a program to allow me to do this. I am looking into Family Historian, which has an 'all relatives' function, it looks perfect, but as its £42!!, I would be very interested in the opinion of others who are using it please. Many thanks Teresa