Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with the British Library please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie

Debbie Report 25 Jan 2004 14:25

Hello all After a year of searching for a marriage for my great great granparents I have finally found them in Bengal India, even though they were born in England I still am unsure as why they were out there in 1873, I presume he was in the Army. Now I have the year they were born and it just says Bengal Marriages what do I do now? I have just been on the British Library Indian site but it tells you can visit which I am unable to do. So I wondered is there any other way I can obtain these records. I think it said they can do a search for £35 and then the document for £18 and then another sum for soemthing else which I cannot afford. So please any ideas greatly recieved. Thank you Debbie

JaneFrance

JaneFrance Report 25 Jan 2004 15:12

Debbie One way of getting help might be to join the Rootsweb India mailing list. Its free. Mailing list members are really helpful, all looking for ancestry in India like you and me. Someone very kindly helped me by going to the British Library and finding the records for my ancestors. Its worth a try. Good luck Jane

Bob

Bob Report 25 Jan 2004 15:14

This looks a useful start: http://www.deefholts.pwp.blueyonder[.]co.uk/marriages2.htm take out the brackets first Bob

Debbie

Debbie Report 25 Jan 2004 15:36

Hi Jane Thanks for the reply, I had alook at the rootsweb India list earlier, and tried to subscribe and still waiting to see what happens now. I might try and ask someone on the records board. Thankyou Hi Bob Just had a look at that site and it looks very good but not my name but a few useful links. Thank you so much Debbie

Debbie

Debbie Report 25 Jan 2004 17:14

Amanda Thankyou very much for that information, would they charge me for the information? and can you get certificates from abroad? Thanks Debbie

Debbie

Debbie Report 25 Jan 2004 19:48

Hi Amanda Thanks for that, I found the site and it says about marriages overseas and gives a list of the Countries it accepts from and India is not on the list so I think I will contact them. I am glad you are having some luck and hope you find the right ones. thanks once again Debbie

Debbie

Debbie Report 25 Jan 2004 23:44

Amanda Thanks for that address. Your Thomas is only 8 years out and they did make so many mistakes on the census. Hope you find the right one. Thanks Debbie