Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Brick Wall!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Russell

Russell Report 25 Jan 2004 11:06

I have traced my family back to John GREENACRE who married at East Dereham in 1764 and buried there in 1826 age 88, suggesting a birth date of about 1738. I have searched the East Dereham registers around 1738 without success and can find no reference to his baptism in the surrounding Villages. Any suggestions anyone on how to track him down?

Lynne

Lynne Report 25 Jan 2004 17:02

Russell, Sorry I can't actually help you, but just to say that I am in a similar position. I have traced my ancestor James Sheriff back to his marriage in 1795 in Rock in Worcestershire, but I cannot find a birth in any surrounding parishes. Like you I don't know where to go next, so any answers would also benefit me. Sorry not to actually help, but I thought you might appreciate that you are not alone. Regards Lynne

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 25 Jan 2004 18:08

Hello Russell and Lynne If they were married by banns could you track down the banns book for where they were married. it might tell you what parish they were from. I have the same problem myself. Your local library or register office may have them. Good Luck Shirley.

Janet

Janet Report 25 Jan 2004 18:17

I looked on the LDS site and found the birth of a John Greenacre in East Dereham, Norfolk in 1740. Unfortunately, there were no parents names which indicates that the registrar at that time was too lazy to add anything but the details of the person concerned. If that's the case, it looks like you've gone as far as you can with that line I'm afraid. You could always look at the parish records yourself by going to your nearest LDS records centre. They will order the records you need for a sum of around £3 and after about a week to 10 days you have access to that film. Jan from Gravesend Kent.

Judy

Judy Report 25 Jan 2004 18:41

The following was also found at LDS... Husband John Greenacre Birth: 1740 East Dereham, Norfolk, England Christening: Marriage: 22 OCT 1764 Costessey, Norfolk, England Death: Burial: ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Wife Mary Money Pedigree Birth: 1742 East Dereham, Norfolk, England Christening: Marriage: 22 OCT 1764 Costessey, Norfolk, England Death: Burial: ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Children 1. William Greenacre Male Birth: Christening: APR 1767 East Dereham, Norfolk, England Death: Burial: 2. William Greenacre Male Birth: AUG 1768 East Dereham, Norfolk, England Christening: Death: Burial: 3. Hannah Greenacre Female Birth: Christening: MAR 1771 East Dereham, Norfolk, England Death: Burial: 4. Diana Greenacre Female Birth: Christening: MAR 1773 East Dereham, Norfolk, England Death: Burial: 5. Robert Greenacre Male Birth: JAN 1777 , Norfolk, England Christening: Death: Burial: 6. James Greenacre Male Birth: Christening: APR 1779 East Dereham, Norfolk, England Death: Burial: