Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another name for Daisy?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 25 Jan 2004 00:12

I am trying to find a Daisy Tamplin and am having no joy for the right age - dad born 1861. Could Daisy be short for anything? Babs

Mary

Mary Report 25 Jan 2004 00:24

Hi there, I had an Aunty Daisy and tried everywhere to find her, when I did, she was registered as Easter Daisy because she was born on Easter Sunday. This does not help you very much but I think that Daisy may be short for Dorothy. Mary

Emma

Emma Report 25 Jan 2004 00:24

Barbara, Do you have her parents' names? Emma.

Barbara

Barbara Report 25 Jan 2004 00:37

Hi thanks for the interest. my cousin says her father was John Tamplin b1861 and she thinks the mother was called Amanda. There is a brother Horace and a sister Kate. John is a tricky fish and not appearing on many of the census. I have him in 1871 age 10. He was born Bishton Monmouthshire. Its a mystery I have put on the back burner as I am going nowhere fast!

Emma

Emma Report 25 Jan 2004 01:17

Barbara, Found this on 1881 - could this be John? Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability Job REESE Head M Male 34 Hanmartin, Monmouth, England Smith Isabella REESE Wife M Female 25 Bishton, Monmouth, England Wm.Tamplin REESE Son Male 4 Newton, Lancashire, England Scholar Fred. REESE Son Male 2 Newton, Lancashire, England Margaret REESE Daur Female 1 m Newton, Lancashire, England Ann REESE Daur Female 1 m Newton, Lancashire, England John TAMPLIN Boarder Male 19 Bishton, Monmouth, England Smith Source Information: Dwelling 86 Earle St Census Place Newton In Makerfield, Lancashire, England Family History Library Film 1341905 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 3786 / 101 Page Number 9

Emma

Emma Report 25 Jan 2004 01:23

Barbara, The only John Tamplin I could find on 1891 is: Tamplin, John 29 Newport, Monmouthshire Boarder Sculcoates Yorkshire police constable Do you have an approximate date of birth for Daisy? Emma.

Hilary

Hilary Report 25 Jan 2004 19:04

My great aunt Daisy was really a Florence!

Michele

Michele Report 25 Jan 2004 19:41

I have a Clara Margaret in my tree who is recorded in the 1901 census as Daisy.

Michele

Michele Report 25 Jan 2004 19:59

Have you seen these already? Name Year Quarter Record Type County Volume Page Tamplin,Kathleen Daisy 1904 September Births Surrey 2a 213 Tamplin,Horace Percival 1905 March Births Glamorgan Monmouthshire 11a 392 Tamplin, Kate 1902 September Births Glamorgan Monmouthshire 11a 263 Tamplin, Kate 1902 September Deaths Glamorgan Monmouthshire 11a 116 Michele

Barbara

Barbara Report 25 Jan 2004 22:02

Gosh lots of replies, thankyou! Yes thats the right John Emma, Isabella Reese was my great great granny. I looked at the John who was the Policeman but i think that its unlikely even though the age is right. Unless he was a policeman for a few years and went back to being a smith? In 1901 there is a John Tamplin in Gloucestershire who is a tool smith in a wagon works. Think I will have to invest a fiver to find out who this one is. As to the birth records, yes I found those last night There's a good possibility they are the right ones. I've written to my cousin to see if she has remembered anything else. Her mother is 82 and her mind wanders but you never know what they may discover in one of her lucid moment. I just wish 2011 would hurry up and get here lol B

Barbara

Barbara Report 27 Jan 2004 23:13

Just further to this. I haven't found Daisy yet, but I made an enquiry on a monmouthshire mailing list and over the last forty eight hours have researched this family and it looks like I have found a lady who is linked. Its quite exciting and very early days, but just shows that rellies pop up just when you least expect them to! Thanks for all the help, this is one brick wall I am peeping over and may jsut knock down in the next week! Barbara

SarahSalopianScrapper

SarahSalopianScrapper Report 28 Jan 2004 21:15

Ros, I am not sure about this but I think 'Peggy' derives from from Margaret because it rhymes with 'Meggy'. If I am right the chain goes Margaret - Maggie - Meggy - Peggy I'm sure read it somewhere once and it's stuck in my head. I wish the important information would do the same. Sarah