Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HOW TO....ged files??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 24 Jan 2004 21:33

Hi can anyone please tell me where I can download software (preferably free) so that I can open ged files?? I have saved various bits and pieces to my puter and now cant read them, any ideas much appreciated, thanks, Wend

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Jan 2004 22:01

If you type into Google 'gedcom software' you should get a few results, and some are free. Margaret

Judy

Judy Report 24 Jan 2004 22:02

I assume you don't already have a family tree type program on your computer? Pretty much any one of the free family tree programs offered on the internet has the feature you are looking for. The free Genopro program which can be found at www(.)genopro(.)com or the gree tree program at the LDS site at www(.)familysearch(.)org, will do the trick. Download the program and install it. Find the file you wish to open, and RIGHT click on the file and when the drop down box appears choose OPEN WITH and the software program you just installed will be the program to choose to open your file. Judy

Wendy

Wendy Report 24 Jan 2004 22:05

thanks a lot for the replies, will give them a look, thanks again, Wend

Bob

Bob Report 26 Jan 2004 13:19

Karen, I am not sure that you can download a GC tre. I am afraid you will have to re-input all the information into tour new program. You can then of course re upload to GC wen ever you wish. Bob

shropgirl

shropgirl Report 26 Jan 2004 16:30

it says file name to upload gedcom.on GC what do i put ? I have tried my name.and name before marriage Joan

Judy

Judy Report 26 Jan 2004 16:47

Joan: I assume from your commet you are attempting to upload your tree to GC from your computer? I also assume you've already formatted the information to .ged format? If so, when you click on LOAD GEMCOM, the empty space you are seeing where you're to input file name; look to the right of the box to the word BROWSE. Click on browse and then you will be able to scroll and locate the .ged file you created on your computer. Once you find it, then click UPLOAD GEDCOM and the tree will upload to GC. If you need clearer instructions let me know and I'll send them to you via e-mail. Judy

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Jan 2004 00:38

Thank you Judy, with your help and the advice of others I have managed to put a new tree on this site. Many thanks to all of you, Karen

Steven

Steven Report 30 Jan 2004 07:43

Hello everyone,I already have my tree uploaded,but i have a lot more information to add and it would be quicker to upload my tree again, my question is if i do upload another gedcom will it it merge with the one i already have put up, or will i have to delete it first then upload my new version and if i do will i lose my links to other trees ? Steve

Judy

Judy Report 30 Jan 2004 08:12

Hi Steve....you have to delete the old and then submit the updated version.