Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption Trying to find birth mother

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laura

Laura Report 24 Jan 2004 16:55

I'm trying to find my partners birth mother or any of his birth family the only thing I have to go on is my partners birth name don't have birth mothers name. Does anyone know where I can get this information or if there are any websites. I have heard that there is a site or register where the birth mother can leave her details so her child can get in touch with her as I'm aware birth mother cannot get in touch with their child. hope someone can help me.

Rus&

Rus& Report 24 Jan 2004 17:30

laura, i have sent you an email kaz

Martina

Martina Report 26 Jan 2004 11:38

wont his adoption certifcate have mums name on. good luck

Leslie

Leslie Report 26 Jan 2004 20:20

DEAR LAURA,HOPE THIS WILL HELP,YOU CAN APPLY FOR A COPY OF YOUR PARTNERS ORIGINAL BIRTH CERT,WHICH WILL HIS MOTHERS NAME ON IT,THEY WILL CHARGE APPROX-£6.00, APPLY TO YOUR PARTNERS REGISTRY OFFICE,AND THEY WILL SEND YOU A COPY,ALSO IF HE WAS ADOPTED,HE CAN LEAVE HIS DETAILS AS YOU THOUGHT ON THE ADOPTION REGISTER RUN BY THE GOVERNMENT,THEY WILL SEND FORM TO APPLY TO HAVE HIS DETAILS PUT ON THE REGISTER TO SAY HE IS LOOKING FOR HIS MUM,AND IF SHE HAS ALSO PUT HER DETAILS ON THE REGISTER, THEY WILL WRITE AND TELL YOUR PARTNER THAT THEY HAVE A CONTACT,TELLING HIM ALL THE DETAILS INCLUDING TELEPHONE NO; IT WILL COST £30.00. WORTH EVERY PENNY IF IT WORKS.THE ADDRESS TO WRITE AND ASK IS:ADOPTION CONTACT REGISTER,GENERAL REGISTER OFFICE,SMEDLEY HYDRO,TRAFALGAR ROAD,BIRKDALE,SOUTHPORT,PR8 2HH, I KNOW THIS INFORMATOIN AS I AM LOOKING FOR A HALF SISTER AND HAVE PUT MY INFO ON THAT REGISTER!!!!!!!! HOPE THIS HELPS AND GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SEARCH.

Laura

Laura Report 29 Jan 2004 21:17

Thank you for your advice. With the new rule in place is it true that my partners birth mother could find him or does his name have to be on register?. Also can I apply for birth cert and could I register my partners name on list or does he have to. Wish he was more interested in it I feel that his birth mother has a right to know about how he is and his life. my parnter doesn't seee it like this. Think it might be that his a man and women tend to want to know everything about themeselves and where they came from men tned to just except it and get on with live. once again thank you.

Simon

Simon Report 30 Jan 2004 14:38

Not being funny Laura, but as an adoptee myself, the birth mother has absolutely no right to know about her birth son's life. She gave that right away at the time she had her son adopted. Having said that, there are streps you can take, or more to the point, your partner can take. If you know which organisation dealt with the adoption your partner can contact them for access to the birth records that they hold. This has to be his decision and not yours. The organisation have to release any information they have on request, although depending on when the adoption took place he may need to see an adoption counsellor prior to the release of the information. The organisation concerened may withhold information that they consider could cause harm to the adoptee. You could contact NORCAP who hold a register of birth parent's looking for their children.

Beverley

Beverley Report 30 Jan 2004 15:44

Hi Laura i put my daughter up for adoption in 1976 and started to trace her last yr 2003 as i felt that at 27 she wud b old enough to understand my reasons for this..... i traced her through social services who were a great help.... i found out she had been killed in a car accident when she was 2 1/2 yrs old sum 25 yrs ago. i am in touch with her adoptive brother and have met him we get on great .... he to like ur partner has no interest in finding his birth motherhe says if she wanted to c him she wud.... i tried NORCAP first but go to the social services first it will save u sum money then do NORCAP good luck Bev xxxx

Sheila

Sheila Report 1 Feb 2004 22:11

hi laura, just read your latest message have tried to e-mail you direct but having problems sending, so ive come on to the message board, i understand your reason for wanting your partner to find his birth family, however, it has to be his decision, not everyone feels the same way about being adopted some are very happy never to know any details of their original birth details, whilst for some it will become an endless search. if he does decide he wants to go on a contact register however, you can find info on www[.]1837online[.]com, dont forget to remove brackets and look under oder a certificate, as the adopted person it will only cost him 15pounds, and if a connection is made he will be given the persons details however, they will not give and info out about him without his permission, he must be the one who applies to go on the contact register, you cannot do it for him......one more thing though i have heard that this year the law may change and it will be possible for birth mothers to try and make contact with their children so its worth discuussing the possobility with him this may never happen though, but at least you would be able to have talked it through best of luck to you both

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 May 2004 20:12

Laura Yes, the new legislation allows birth parents to search for their adopted child. I am adopted and recently traced my birth family. I did find Norcap incredibly helpful - and their advice and help is ongoing for as long as you remain a member. But Laura, I would like to say this in the very nicest and kindest way possible - it shouldn't be you doing the searching for your husband. It is a huge decision to make to trace your origins, and you need to want to do it 100% - not because somebody else thinks you should, however good their intentions. It is an incredibly emotional time - even for men! - and there is always the possibility of rejection, so I really would recommend 'professional' help (eg Norcap or Social Services). Please don't be offended by what I've said here - your husband is very fortunate to have such a supportive partner, and this is another thing that's essential - support from your friends and family. I have no contact with my birth mother - she rejected me in the cruellest way possible - but I have the best relationship ever with my half-brother. Please feel free to email me anytime, and I hope that you come to a decision that is right for both of you. Best wishes, Mandy x

Sarah

Sarah Report 19 May 2004 18:03

slightly off topic but does anyone know how I stand in wanting to trace my half-brother? We have the same mother, but he was adopted at 6months when I was about 2 yrs old. I can't ask my mum for any info because I know whatever reasons she had still hurt, but I do have a copy of his original birth certificate and copies of the papers my mum had to sign at the time of the adoption. Any ideas anyone? Sarah