Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

st george hanover square

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 24 Jan 2004 16:39

please could some one tell me what district of london st george hanover sq is in .my g/dads birth was registered there in 1897 susie

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 24 Jan 2004 16:50

rose thankyou. some of the info says westminster some says islington.im getting so confused...lol thankyou susie

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 24 Jan 2004 17:10

thanx max im still trying to find the elusive albert roberts according to freebmd he was born st georges.hanover sq mum reckons mayfair would have been too posh for gramp..lol thanks again i cant find him on 1901 eithwer.AAAARGGGHHHH!!! susie

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 24 Jan 2004 17:19

max LOL!!! his name was albert!!!lmao thanks susie

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 24 Jan 2004 17:26

max i didnt see that one.i saw one islington and one in west norwood. he had a brother thomas and another jack also a sister louisa.but when i used the decoder they didnt group together as a family!!

Geoff

Geoff Report 24 Jan 2004 20:15

St. George Hanover Square Created 1st July 1837. In Middlesex until 1889. Sub-districts : Belgrave; Hanover Square; Knightsbridge; Mayfair; Mayfair and Knightsbridge; St. John; St. Margaret; St. Margaret and St. John; Victoria; Westminster St. John; Westminster St. Margaret.

Julie,

Julie, Report 25 Jan 2004 15:16

There was also a St George's Square, Lambeth, that once came under Surrey. I think this area was less posh - all my lot came from there!

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 25 Jan 2004 17:46

Susie, Don't think of the Westminster of today. Quite a few of my ancestors were baptised and married at St. James and St. Margarets, Westminster and they were as poor as the proverbial church mouse. The Westminster of 100 years ago was a very poor area in parts with dingy back streets, no different from other parts of the capital. Jean.

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 25 Jan 2004 19:26

geoff and julie thankyou for the replies im gonna get his birth cert i think because mum was only small when he died and she didnt know her g/parents so im really stuck!! thankyou susie

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 26 Jan 2004 17:36

julie lol!!!! mine were quite common...well still are really...lol susie