Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can anyone help?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madeline

Madeline Report 24 Jan 2004 14:13

i am wanting to know if there is a website free of charge in which i can search death certificates

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 24 Jan 2004 15:38

freeBMD includes deaths.

Janet

Janet Report 29 Jan 2004 10:01

Not every birth,death marriage is on BMD and I understand it does not go beyondapprox 1900. Try the GRO in your nearest big library. That is the best way if you cannot easily access the FRC in London. Your nearest LDS centre will also have the GRO. You won't find everything on the net! Janet

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 30 Jan 2004 00:53

When you say search certificates - you won't see copies of them, no. Just the info you need to order them.

Judy

Judy Report 30 Jan 2004 05:07

US deaths can be viewed at the Rootsweb site for free by viewing the Social Security Death Index: http(:)//ssdi(.)genealogy(.)rootsweb(.)com/ Dont forget to remove the brackets! With the information obtained, besides being able to obtain a birth and death date, you can obtain a copy of the original application that the person filled out to get his/her social security number, which may provide additional information of interest....ie, parents, place of birth....etc. Ancesty site used to offer this information for free, but I notice it is now viewable for a fee. Judy

Janet

Janet Report 30 Jan 2004 12:49

For British deaths you access the register in whatever way suts you ie GRO at libraries or LDS centres or go to FRC in London or access Free BMD online(only up tp approx 1900) or pay to view 1837 on line. Once you have idea of certs you want you then write to GRO Office at Southport and obtain your death cert at a cost of £7 50. You then find you may or may not have correct info. If unsure complete back of form giving some details so you do not completely waste all your money, just £4. Hope this is clearer for you. You would only want to access Amercan death register if you are interseted in American deaths which took place in America. Janet