Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

can any one help on this query??? maindys grange/m

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie

Debbie Report 24 Jan 2004 14:07

do you know what a master of maindy grange or maindy manor is please , he was a mate in the merchant navy, are they ships??? just cant seem to find out. please have some one got the answer. deb

Karen

Karen Report 24 Jan 2004 14:18

Debra Maindy is a place near Cardiff in Wales. Sounds like there was a manor house or grange there that your ancestor used to run? There's also barracks there, but I don't know how old they are. Hope this helps, Karen

Debbie

Debbie Report 24 Jan 2004 15:50

thank you karen, but still cant find anything out, i dont live that far away from cardiff, have asked loads of people around here and they dont seem to know anything, any more suggestions???? deb

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 24 Jan 2004 16:24

Hello Debra - I can remember in my youth going swimming in Maindy Baths - those were the days. Been on google and the only reference I can find relates to Locomotives - now, Iasked hubby who is train fanatic and apparently the Hall Class Locomotives built for Great Western Railway in the 1940's were named after famous or historic Halls - there is an engine called Maindy Hall - so there must at some time been such a place. Couldnt find out any more though - probably worth contacting Cardiff Museum and asking there. did you realise there is a site for Welsh Mariners? came across it quite be accident whilst looking for Maindy Hall. Try www(.)welshmariners(.)org(.)uk and see if you have any luck with your man. All the best Jacqui

Debbie

Debbie Report 24 Jan 2004 17:00

thank you jacqui, i will look into that, and see what i can find. have typed in maindy grange and manor and dont seem to find anything. just looked on wesh mariners gives me details of what his job was , and what years he served. and that he was master of the places above but no more info. looks like i will keep looking. deb

Bob

Bob Report 24 Jan 2004 21:33

May be nothing but I found this: Saturday, 9th March 1940 D189 The collier 'Maindy Hill' (1,918t) while on Admiralty service, was sunk in a collision with an unknown ship off Hartlepool. Twenty-three crew members were landed at Hartlepool Dock Head the following day. The one man injured was taken to hospital. She was built in 1911.

Geoff

Geoff Report 24 Jan 2004 21:40

Maindy appears to be in Newport, not Cardiff.

Debbie

Debbie Report 24 Jan 2004 22:56

thank you geoff , bob and everyone but still seem to be hitting my head on a wall as i cant find anything, thought it was a ship first as he was in the merchant navy, but now thinking its more of a place. any more suggestions please. deb

Annie

Annie Report 24 Jan 2004 23:18

Hi Maindy is in Cardiff near where I live, there is a barracks there that opened in 1876. Maendy is CF37 - nearer to Newport. I have never heard of a place called Maindy Grange or Maindy Manor, though, as ever, am willing to be corrected. I hope someone finds the answer for you. Best wishes A

Emma

Emma Report 24 Jan 2004 23:34

Hi Debra, Found this page: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/other/alrc/publications/reports/33/ALRC33Ch9.html#ALRC33Paragraph182. which is some australian legal page but has a segment which makes no sense to me at all lol!! and refers to a ship (I think!) the Maindy Manor. Emma.

Crista

Crista Report 25 Jan 2004 06:43

Hi Debra, It appears that Maindy Manor was a ship that was insured by Lloyds of London and was involved in a claim. Crista

Debbie

Debbie Report 25 Jan 2004 19:03

thank you crista and emma , i will look into that. deb