Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Boer War

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 24 Jan 2004 13:00

My Great grandad Howe served in the Boer War. Did any of your ancesters? How do we find out about the Boer War and the people who served in it? Fi

Ellen

Ellen Report 24 Jan 2004 13:10

Hi, My g uncle and g grandad served in the Boer war. There is a plaque listing my g uncles name in the local town hall but they appear to keep no records about it! It is very frustrating to think that they went to so much trouble then forgot about him. If you find out anything I would be grateful if you would let me know. Regards Helena

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 24 Jan 2004 13:38

Hello Fi and Angel Type Boer war News into search and it will come up with a lot of information on the Boer War. Also I am sure there are reinactments either today or soon about the Boer War. Watch the News this evening. Shirley

Melanie

Melanie Report 24 Jan 2004 15:04

My G.Grandad, Thomas Eyres/Ayres also fought in the Boer War. Its a nightmare trying to find out info but through lots sleepless nights allowed only by caffine and stubborness I've narrowed down alot of mysteries and put together alot of information. There is a good site run by Roger Capewell who is a fountain of knowledge when it comes to these enquiries. Just type his name in the search engine and have a look around. Good Luck!!! Melanie

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Jan 2004 15:07

Hi, Fi and Angel, Try typing www(.)regiments(.)org and it will bring up all wars and regiments, plus other useful info from 1700-2000's. I noticed the other day that it now has the gulf war on it. Don't forget to remove brackets!! Margaret

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 24 Jan 2004 22:02

Thanks to all for the Info. Sites recommended have been saved in favourites. Thanks

Barbara

Barbara Report 24 Jan 2004 22:28

Hi, I am also curious about the Boer war as my grandmothers Uncle was said to have sailed for the Boer war the night she was born - Feb 16 1900. I don't know the regiment yet, but would like to know more about it all. Barbara

Irene

Irene Report 24 Jan 2004 22:40

hi i am also trying very hard for information about the boer war and finding it extremely difficult my husband grandfather served in the boer war and then volunteered to stay in s africa and joined the s a colonial police we actually spent nearly 2 days in the nationl archives but came away with nothing regards irene

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Jan 2004 22:55

Hi All, Don't know if you have tried this one for SA Military - http://www.lib.sun.ac.za/roh/roh.exe?Menultem+Home I also have a friend in SA who organises tours of the battlefields - http://www.byeways(.)co.za/index.htm Regards Margaret

Heather

Heather Report 25 Jan 2004 11:19

Hi My G. Grandfather also served in the Boer War. I have had some success. My Grandmother was born while he was serving and on her birth certificate it states the regiment and his number. From this I was able to obtain his service records and know his was in the Royal Artillery and was in Ladysmith. I also know he died in SA but as yet have not been able to obtain his death certificate as no one seems to know where that will be. It is worth seeing if any children were born while serving as these details might be on their birth certificates. Heather

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Jan 2004 12:19

Hi Heather, The site below had loads of help and links for SA genealogy, don't know if you have tried it - http://www.genealogy(.)co.za/ Regards Margaret

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 25 Jan 2004 12:28

Irene - My G.Uncle served India and Africa - we found his record in the Miss-files box at The PRO. Spent hours looking through those boxes to no avail and as a last resort looked in there - if you hav'nt already it might be worth another look. Sue.

Irene

Irene Report 25 Jan 2004 22:57

hello all just to say thankyou for your very welcome tips especially to margaret drummond what a fantastic web site the first one is my husbands grandfather we believe actually survived the boer war and came back to england to fight in the first world war this is a very difficult task but i am so grateful for all the tips irene

Fi aka Wheelie Spice

Fi aka Wheelie Spice Report 26 Jan 2004 09:09

Thank you everyone for your tips. I am going to Kew today with Max so will look up all about the Boer War with your help. Thanks Fi