Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

adoption query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rus&

Rus& Report 21 Jan 2004 16:11

hi, can anyone help me with this query.If a person is adopted would their new name be available to look at on the bmd index. thanks kaz

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jan 2004 19:00

Hi Kaz, In Scotland, the new adopted name would be listed under births, along with all other births. They are listed under the year of the adoption. Regards Margaret

Rus&

Rus& Report 21 Jan 2004 19:43

Thank you margaret and amanda for the info. If there is a different register that contains the new names can you look at it somewhere? thanks kaz

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Jan 2004 23:58

Nudged!..... Cos I'd like to know the answer too! Eleanor xx

Rus&

Rus& Report 22 Jan 2004 19:08

nudge

Carla

Carla Report 22 Jan 2004 20:10

I am in on this one too! So can someone answer me this please? Can you trace an adoption backwards? I am trying to find my mum, but she was adopted too. We can't find any trace of her birth so would that mean she has changed her name somewhere along the lines?

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Jan 2004 22:28

Hi Carla, Why not send an e-mail to Joan Allan at myfolks(.)co.uk. I'm sure she can point you in the right direction. She really knows her stuff.... Good luck in your search. Regards Margaret