Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

yorkshire expert needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 20 Jan 2004 17:05

Please could you help me decipher this place name in Leeds. It looks like margate or mabgate. Could someone give me a hint as to what it could really say. I've tried Genuki for Yorkshire with no luck. Thanks Jane

Jane

Jane Report 20 Jan 2004 17:35

Rosemary It is on their marriage certificate, which isn't much help to you. I have found a Mabgate in West Yorkshire so i hope this is the right place. I am trying to find them on the 1851 census. Jonathan was 24 in 1850 and Elizabeth was 20yrs in 1850. I am hoping they are still living in Mabgate in 1851. Jonathan was a cloth dresser. I know they were still in Leeds around 1860 as their son William was born in Leeds about then. Not much to go on i'm afraid. Thanks for your help Sorry Jane

Emma

Emma Report 20 Jan 2004 17:40

Jane, There is an area (a couple of streets!) in Leeds called Mabgate it's in the area know as Lincoln Green LS9. Emma.

Jane

Jane Report 20 Jan 2004 17:48

Thanks Emma and Rosemary Hopefully i will be able to find them now All the best Jane PS i may have found them at 7 Park Lane Mabgate.

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 20 Jan 2004 18:30

Mabgate is at the Junction of the A64(new York Road) and A61(Regent Street) LS2 there is a old pub called the Mabgate. I have been in it ! Bob

Jane

Jane Report 20 Jan 2004 19:47

thanks Bob I have tried to find out about Mabgate but failed. The only information i could get was about this pub Thanks for your help Jane

Christine

Christine Report 20 Jan 2004 21:19

Try http://www.leodis.net

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 20 Jan 2004 21:29

search for Mabgate on www.leodis.net -- dozens of old photos of the area (not as old as 1850 though) Park Lane also gets a lot of hits, but it's the wrong Park Lane. There's an 1854 map covering Mabgate on www.old-maps(.)co.uk -- give coordinates 430974, 433741

Jane

Jane Report 21 Jan 2004 08:17

Hi Robin and Christine Thanks for that information on WWW.leodis(.)net it looks a good site. Thanks again Jane

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 21 Jan 2004 09:06

Jane there is a 1883 map of Leeds on http://www.yourmapsonline.org.uk/leedsindex.jpg Its about 3mb download. It has Mabgate on (C9) and a Street index the only Park Lanes I can think of are the city centre (It has Park Lane College) and the one near Roundhay park. Bob

Jane

Jane Report 21 Jan 2004 11:06

Thanks Robert Your very kind helping me. I have to go to work now but i will take a look when i get home. Thanks again Jane