Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth and Marriage Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hilary

Hilary Report 19 Jan 2004 19:21

Can anyone tell me where I can obtain copies of my parents, Francis and Queenie Willis (nee Hobbs) Marriage Certificate, and also copies of their Birth Certificates. Also, without anyone to ask, I need to find out both my maternal and paternal grandmother's maiden names. Any pointers anybody? I do not have any living relatives to ask. Is any of this as impossible as it seems? I have details of my maternal grandfather's family from the 1881 London Census but have come to a full stop. Hilary Buckley (nee Willis) A BIG THANK YOU to Pauline Pickup and Irene Dredge. thanks ladies for the tips - here I go!

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 19 Jan 2004 20:34

Hilary, Best place to search is www(.)1837online(.)com (remove brackets). I asume you will know the year they married and also the years they were born. Their respective birth certificates will then give you the maiden names of their mothers, address where they were born, and father's occupation at the time of birth. There is a charge to view listings on 1837, but you can get £5 worth of units. After you have the PRO reference number, you can then order the certificates direct on line at a cost of £7 each. If you do this, you will be waiting for the postman everyday!! It usually takes about a week to come through. Hope this is of some help to you. Good luck Pauline

Irene

Irene Report 19 Jan 2004 21:26

Hi can I just add my bit, the credits will last for 45 day if you don't use them you will lose them. I must admit I have used 1837 and think its just great. But you must some idea of when the marriage or birth happened or your credits will not last long, don't forget you can save the pages you have viewed on to your computer saves paying again. Before 1903 I check Freebmd first, the quarters that are missing I can then check on 1837. Good luck and have fun Irene