Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The martians have taken another.....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Jan 2004 12:49

see below

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Jan 2004 12:49

I'm looking for my g-grandmother Edith Ruth Gohm (name taken from her 1911 marriage cert). I have found her mother, father, brother and sister on the 1901 census. I know it's them because the witnesses at her marriage were W. Gohm and D. Gohm but I cannot find Edith. She was 29 when she married and a spinster. Any ideas where to look now? In fact, going back over my records I think my g-grandfather must have been with her because there's no record of him on the 1901 either!

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Jan 2004 13:03

it's a possibility but even the census has servants on it and when doing a search for her she just doesn't come up at all. I've even tried doing address searches on the addresses given on their marriage cert. albeit they didn't marry until 1911....still no luck.

Janet

Janet Report 18 Jan 2004 13:12

Where was Edith born, and where were the rest of the family living in 1901? Jan

Kim

Kim Report 18 Jan 2004 13:59

Have you tried Edith Ruth John? or just use the first name and age and approximate place of birth to find her then it should bring up all the Edith Ruth's KIM

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Jan 2004 15:33

Was your great grandfather in the army, because I couldn't find my grandfather on the 1901 census and then found out that he was abroad in the Boer War.

Linda

Linda Report 19 Jan 2004 11:31

Check any other relatives that you know about, MY grandmother died the night before the 1971 census and I spent just the one night with a maiden aunt, that is going to confuse researchers in generations to come

Karen

Karen Report 19 Jan 2004 19:08

Hi Caroline, Not sure if this is any help, you may already have seen it, but found these on the 1891 census: William Gahm / Age 38 / Carman / b. Amersham, Bucks Ruth Gahm / Age 38 / b. Clifton ....... couldn't make this out! Edith Ruth Gahm / Age 11 / b. Highgate, London Rose Harriet Gahm / Age 8 / b. Stratford (I think) London William James Gahm / Age 5 / b. Eltham, Kent Alice Daisy Gahm / Age 9m / b. Bromley, Kent This census was taken in Great Missenden, Bucks Best regards Karen

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Jan 2004 14:01

Ooooh thanks Karen...I hadn't seen that. That seems to make more sense doesn't it? I see a chink of light......... yes, it's getting bigger! Thanks all for your comments Caroline :o)