Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can I have him, please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Zoe

Zoe Report 16 Jan 2004 15:43

see below

Zoe

Zoe Report 16 Jan 2004 15:50

Got my gx4 Grans birth cert yesterday in hope it would help me narrow down an elusive father for her. His name is Henry Bartram and he's a carpenter. I don't know a birthdate for him but Rebecca was born in 1852 so I'm assuming pre-1830. The 1881 census has only 25 Henry Bartram's. Seven of these were born in before 1830. There is one born 1825 who live just three streets away from Rebecca and her family in Barnet, Herts. The name of the wife is wrong but one of the family group is listed a step-daughter so he has probably remarried. Can I claim him?? (obviously pending further research i.e. death of first wife or 2nd marriage certificate)

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jan 2004 15:53

yeah - go on Zoe lol

John

John Report 16 Jan 2004 17:04

I am not a gambler but I would say that is the nearest you're going to get to a certainty without actual proof or confirmation. I sometimes put "tbc" (to be confirmed) against my records when I include data like this. The name is not very common, you have both first and surname, the age is about right, and the location could not be closer ..... the facts are near enough I would say. Incidentally, I always look at the neighbouring households when looking at census records. I have found several of my relatives living with neighbours as lodgers. It was apparently very common until the early 1900s. John

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 16 Jan 2004 21:25

Zoe, personally I would think it a bit of a leap from a birth in 1852 to the census in 1881. He may not even still be alive in 1881 - it could be a cousin for instance. Every time I have done something like this it has backfired on me, so I would recommend caution every time! The best thing to do would be try and trace him on 1851 census first, then look for 61 and 71, look for his marriage (his father's name), for 1841 when he may still have been at home. This way you will have his wife(s)/parents/addresses/occupations and a better chance of a much rounder history. You may well find that the 1881 was right all along, but I would recommend better safe than sorry!! Pencil him in and definitely keep the info, but if I were you I would want to fill that 30 year gap before getting my pen out!! Happy hunting! Maz. XX

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 17 Jan 2004 12:51

Have you looked for Harolds, Harrys and Henrys? My g/grandfather was Harry on the census, Harold somewhere else, but was actually registered as Henry. He isn't the only one, either; I think those names were interchangeable.

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 17 Jan 2004 19:09

Hi Zoe, My family name is Bartram and I have info on them in the Norfolk/Suffolk area, in the 1800`s. Do you have any links in that area? Regards, Frances

Zoe

Zoe Report 17 Jan 2004 19:18

Frances The only Bartram I have so far is Rebecca - the daughter of this Henry I am wondering about. If I can prove that I have the right Henry Bartram on the 1881, then the census says he was born in Norfolk in 1825. I'm at the FRC next week so hopefully I will be able to trace the marriage certificate for Henry Bartram and Ann Chalton/Charlton Zoe

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 17 Jan 2004 19:40

Hi again Zoe, I have an Isaac Bartram married to Sarah Chatton(similar to the name you are looking for) in 1758 in Dickleburgh Norfolk. I don`t have any Henry`s though. There were several Bartram`s in the area so could be related in some way. Good luck with your search! Regards, Frances

Zoe

Zoe Report 17 Jan 2004 19:54

Frances - I have emailed you directly