Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What all genealogists need

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 15 Jan 2004 21:53

In the ideal World we would all have the following: 1.Every child to have been born at least 9 months after Marriage. 2.Every family to have a family Bible. 3.All ancestors to have filled in their Census returns. 4.Everyone to have at least 5 surviving aunts,uncles etc. 5.All of number 4 to be 'compos mentis'. 6.All children to be born during their registered father's lifetime or at most 9 months after his death. 7.Records to show every movement to England from abroad stating the town a person was born in. 8.No one to have ever lied about their age. Still where would we be without the challenge!!!

Nicola

Nicola Report 15 Jan 2004 22:15

LOL.. I'm having problems with one part of the family not filling in their census forms and the other's lying about their ages on the census forms and not registering their births, only recently started researching and am wondering if this will send me prematurely grey or bald from tearing my hair out. Nikii

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 15 Jan 2004 22:32

LOL !! Very true! The only relative I have is my brother who's 2 years older than me so not much help there! My main problem has been trying to find sons named after their fathers then called something completely different! How can Alfred William Lambert become Jack/John?? BTW - My sister and brother in law have just named their son after his father. I have severely berated them!! Naomi

Nicola

Nicola Report 15 Jan 2004 22:37

Naomi, I know what you mean about names, always called my grandad Harry, thought his name was Henry Alfred as that is what his army,work records were, recently found his birth cert and reads as Alfred Henry, although your name problems of Alfred to John seems worse. Nikii

Paul

Paul Report 15 Jan 2004 23:54

Unfortunately, Utopia doesn't exist, and if it did where would us researchers be then? I leave you all to argue about that one :-))) Paul

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 16 Jan 2004 00:13

My grandmother was one of six - all of whom use their middle name rather than their 'first' name. Thank God I did not look up their births/marriages on 1837online before I found that one out. I would like to add that 'no family may be ostrasised before their details are fully recorded and passed onto me', and during interviews no family member may say 'we don't talk about him/her'.

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jan 2004 00:22

My g grandmother was an outrageous liar. She was born in 1838, but on the 1881 census, after remarrying on the death of g grandad, a man 6 years her junior, she was 30 , with an eighteen year old son. By the time she died in 1893, she was 53, still lying by 2 years. Really, g grandma, how could you?!! As for names, she was christened Jane Elizabeth, but by the time she married was Elizabeth Jane. Ggg aunt Jane Christiania became Christiana Jane, then moved to Wisconsin and became Christina. Grandad John became Jack, my dad Edgar James was Jim, and so it continues. I, Diana Elizabeth was Betty to family, Diana or Di to everybody else until I was about 55 and told family I would only answer to Di. I like the old system of naming. It made it much easier to find family members, except for the oddball ones, as above, who just had to be difficult. Who would know who the parents of Leanne and Tiana and Chuck and Rocky are? Di.

Annie

Annie Report 16 Jan 2004 00:36

I so agree. I have a great grandad by the name of Tuffa ... turns out his real name was Frederick George Bentall DULLEY. As for what we need, all families should be at their normal place of residence on census night would be helpful ...... But, what fun, eh? A

Linda

Linda Report 16 Jan 2004 20:21

Hi Jan. In an ideal world we wouldn't have to 'work!' for a living and could concentrate on this instead but which would be harder? in both situations we have to 'sort' through a lot of rubbish before we find any treasure & get very little thanks. Lynn.