Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice please on pop-up stoppers.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 14 Jan 2004 00:32

Hi everyone. Just doing a spring clean on my computer defrag, cookies etc. have downloaded ad-aware and run, also Mcfee easyclean can anyone advise on the best free pop-up stopper along eith any other advice on free security downloads. Thanks Lynn. PS. If anyone has bought the new magazine PC Easy the free CD on it appears to have a Trojan Horse Virus- Beware.

Judy

Judy Report 14 Jan 2004 00:43

A few of my customers were happy with the free pop-up stopper found at: http(:)//www(.)panicware(.)com/popupstopperisp(.)html Judy

Paul

Paul Report 14 Jan 2004 01:14

Judy, The ada-ware you recommended also seems to stop them as well. I have only had one since the download and run. Paul

Judy

Judy Report 14 Jan 2004 02:08

Paul.....you're right! Ada-ware does stop the pop-ups as it's removed the spyware that caused the pop ups in the first place. I personally don't use a pop up stopper for that reason. Thanks for the warning, Linda, about CD with Easy PC....you would think you would be able to trust a product being hawked by a reputable company....go figure!

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 14 Jan 2004 09:09

The free Google toolbar has an inbuilt popupstopper that is recommended. The Feb edition of PCW has details of a virus that is carried on a popup and can block access to google (what next?) Blocking the popups blocks the viruses. Bob

Jan

Jan Report 14 Jan 2004 10:03

Norton System works also has one built in which can be turned on and off accordingly. i do prefer the google search bar though its always there to turn on and off whenever. Jan x

Janet

Janet Report 14 Jan 2004 11:48

I have Norton Internet Security, and that also has an ad and pop-up stopper that can be switched on or off. I keep it on, as nothing annoys me more than pop-ups - unless it's ads that flash! There's an Ad Trashcan too - where you can dump any popups that sneak through!

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jan 2004 21:02

I used to get a daily dose of obviously obscene messages which I never opened after the first one, and messages from African widows about their lost fortune, as well as so many pop ups I sometimes had to fight my way through them. As I eliminated one, two more would pop up. Since installing Norton 2004 and Ad Aware I am completely free of the lot. I can highly recommend both. Di.

Linda

Linda Report 14 Jan 2004 22:04

Just gained access to my PC (after finally kicking my son off). Thanks everyone for all the advice. Lynn.