Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Magazines

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 10 Jan 2004 11:23

In WH smiths the Other Day I found three familyy history mags, I can only afford one, which one should I buy, Which one is the best value in money for a novice researcher, Linda Potter

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 10 Jan 2004 12:07

I have to say Your Family Tree is definately the best one, that is my personal opinion. You always get lots of tips and advice in there. Also some newsagents now have on shelf the first 3 issues in one book, think it is about £14.99 but is an excellent read. regards, Siobhan

Keith

Keith Report 10 Jan 2004 12:16

Hello Linda. Can't comment on Your Family Tree but I get Family Tree and Practical Family History. For a novice I think Practical Family History is the better, especially the Feb edition which gives a lot of internet related detail. Can you not see these at your local library? Might be in the Local Studies section. You might like to consider buying a "How to " on genealogy. Muck better value for a novice and much cheaper than £14.99! Good luck and come back if we on the site can help. Keith

Caroline

Caroline Report 10 Jan 2004 12:44

Sorry to hijack your thread a bit but my fiancee bought me Issue 7 of Your Family Tree with a year's subscription for part of my Xmas pressie. Does anyone know how I can get hold of the first 6 issues? Thanks in advance Caroline p.s. ooops don't worry, just found a number and have back ordered some of them...unfortunately the lady says the first 3 issues are now out of print! :o(

Kay

Kay Report 10 Jan 2004 12:47

Hi Linda, I agree with Keith, I prefer Practical Family History. I'm quite new to this still (only 6 months as apposed to 20 years like some) and it has some really good tips in it. I subscribed to it a few months back, so if I see another mag when I'm out and about I don't feel too guilty buying it as my subscribed ones were paid for months ago and it feels like they are free now (female logic my hubby calls it!) Kay