Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Whatever you do - Back Up Your Data

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda from Murton

Linda from Murton Report 10 Jan 2004 00:08

I have Family Tree Maker and religiously backed up my data. Only thing was I backed up to my hard drive instead of an external data disk. I have just had to reformat my hard drive following severe problems with my computer - consequence - I have lost three years data input. So whatever you do - back up your data - copy it to disk so that you can reinstall. Wish I could figure out how to get Family Tree Maker to copy to CD

Judy

Judy Report 10 Jan 2004 00:24

Linda: You need a program like Nero Burner to export your data from hard drive to CD. If you have a CD burner, the burner should have come with a software program. If it didn't let me know what type operating system you have (Windows 98, Windows XP, etc....) as well as the CD burner type. If I can figure it out on my end, and Nero Burner is compatible, I will be more than happy to send you a copy of the Neo Burning software, via snail mail. Judy

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 10 Jan 2004 00:28

I always update my info to paper and file it. Computers are great, but once you have a problem with them, there is no going back.

Ma

Ma Report 10 Jan 2004 00:30

hi i did the same thing i did not do any back up and lost the 9 yrs work. now i allway try and back up on new cd every time. marilyn

Linda from Murton

Linda from Murton Report 10 Jan 2004 17:14

Judy in the States I have Easy CD Creator on my computer but dont know how to copy Family Tree Maker off my hard drive. I expect it will be similar to Nero - would be grateful if you could please let me know the steps to follow. Marilyn - my heart goes out to you. Nine years. I thought three years was bad enough. Siobhan - Know what you mean, I'm thankful that I had written what I call my "book" and had been able to print it off. Just means re-entering all that data. Kind regards.

Carol

Carol Report 10 Jan 2004 17:51

I learned the hard way as well. I now periodically create a gedcom file from within my family history programme, then ftp the gedcom file to my webspace. For those of you without a domain name, most isps supply free webspace. That way, your backup is floating around in cyberspace for whenever you need it.

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 10 Jan 2004 18:31

Even CDs aren't safe. I caught someone using my family tree CD as a coaster once. Luckily it was undamaged.