Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Maker

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 7 Jan 2004 18:57

What is this, you are all raving about? Can someone explain. Thanks, Susan

Keith

Keith Report 7 Jan 2004 20:42

Hello Susan. Family Tree Maker is a genealogy package which is quite widely available, I bought mine from Dixon's but is also available from S&N Genealogy products among others. See www(.)genealogysupplies(.)com remove brackets. It is very easy to use and produces a wide variety of reports, like Family Page, Ancestor Trees, Descendent Trees, +++ all from one entry of the basic facts. I've used it since 1995 and to my mind it is the best. By zooming in and out you can also see your complete family on the screen at once. Go for it. You won't be disappointed. Where are you located?. Regards. Keith

George

George Report 7 Jan 2004 21:25

May i add only buy the main programme for about thirty pounds, unless you have loads of ancestors in America, all the extras are a waste of money. Regards George

Keith

Keith Report 7 Jan 2004 21:34

George. I agree. I had V3 until very recently. Have just gone up to V7 because of the additional trees but I agree, many of the extras are America related. Aye. Keith

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 7 Jan 2004 21:38

Hi, I also agree with George - you don't need a lot of the extras. I like it because I find it very user friendly. It prompts you if you make obvious mistakes and you can print a variet of trees. Gwynne

Susan

Susan Report 7 Jan 2004 21:49

Thank you all very much for the advice, it's sounds great. It will be on my shopping list this weekend! Keith, I'm in Burnham, Bucks. Regards, Susan

Susan

Susan Report 7 Jan 2004 22:00

Hi everyone, I've just been on the S&N Genealogy site and there is a Family Tree Maker 11 for sale, price £27.40. Is this the one I should get? It sounded really good. Thanks, Susan

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 7 Jan 2004 22:13

Yep thats it Susan!!!

Susan

Susan Report 7 Jan 2004 22:20

Thank you, I'll order it now! Can't wait. Do you know if it's compatible with Windows XP. On their table it says Family Tree Maker V10 is, so it should be shouldn't it? Thanks, Susan

Simon

Simon Report 7 Jan 2004 22:42

If you haven't already ordered can I suggest an alternative - Family Historian. It is an excellent piece of software, which many Family Tree Maker users have switched to and rave about. It is designed in the UK predominantly for the UK market, they have their own user group on line and they are very responsive if you have problems or are looking for advice about how to do things. You are also able to suggest items for improvement which are then voted on and which are acted upon by the software designer who regularly contributes to the site and to people's problems or requests for advice. It is a bit more expensive at about 36 pounds, but it is very versatile for things like printing and very powerful in terms of managing the information and running queries. Web site is http://www.familyhistorian(.)ip3(.)com/cgi-bin/index.cgi - remove brackets as usual. Trial software is also available so you can try before you buy - links to the download site are available from the link above. If this is too late for you, perhaps it is of use to someone else. Regards Simon in Munich

Susan

Susan Report 7 Jan 2004 22:49

Thank you Simon, I'll have a look on the website. Regards, Susan

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 7 Jan 2004 22:54

Hi Susan I have been using Family tree maker fo a few years now and have found it quite useful My first was a very early version which I bough at a car boot sale for £10 (I hadn't got a computer at the time) and I have upgraded regularly since My husband is descended from a from a farming family in the Yorkshire dales and I have found lots of info about the members of the family who went to America Bren

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 7 Jan 2004 23:05

I was given version 6 as a gift, several years ago, previously using Word which was not all that clever. It is fine but I am tempted to invest in version 11 but does any one know if I am able to shift all my data? I e-mailed S&N but was ignored. Len

Susan

Susan Report 8 Jan 2004 18:30

Thank you everyone for all your help. Regards, Susan

Keith

Keith Report 8 Jan 2004 21:50

Leonard. I recently upgraded V3 to V7. It only upgrades the programme files and didn't mess up the data in any way. Within seconds, literally, I was using the upgraded reports etc without any problem. Keith

Keith

Keith Report 8 Jan 2004 22:05

Hello Susan. I wondered if you were near enough to demonstrate Family Tree Maker, but I'm in Norfolk so that's out. Glad to see you've bitten the bullet. Regards. Keith

Susan

Susan Report 9 Jan 2004 22:44

Thanks Keith, I'll let you know how I get on. Susan