Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just when you think it's getting easier....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 6 Jan 2004 19:39

you come across a hurdle! grrrrr I received the marriage certificate of my g.g.grandfather today. Everything on it was matching to the information I had except his age!!!! I had him down as being born c.1868 but according to his marriage he was 31 making it c.1858!!!!!!!! I found him, wifey and young Albert aged 6months on the 1891 census. All ages correspond with what I had already. It's written down very clearly as 31....is it possible that they wrote his age down wrong? Is there any other way of checking this?

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 6 Jan 2004 20:01

There are two possibles: He was named after an older brother who died. His parents may not have registered the 2nd birth out of financial hardship. Ten years is a big age gap for this to happen, so a more likely explanation is: he lied about his age because there was a huge difference between him and his wife. It never looks good if a thirty year old gets a teenager pregnant. How old was she?

Caroline

Caroline Report 6 Jan 2004 20:04

LOL...you could be right...she was 19 and my g.grandfather was born in 1890. But then again, it's 31 on the marriage certificate...so????

Caroline

Caroline Report 6 Jan 2004 20:14

also...what about this?? I found an Albert William Brandon b. Sep 1868 on 1837online but he's not on either Ancestry or FreeBMD .... BUT ..... on Ancestry and FreeBMD there's and Albert Brandon b. Mar 1868 which is not on 1837online????

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 7 Jan 2004 16:32

How random. If you get the urge to order one, go with 1837online!

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 7 Jan 2004 17:22

Could be it says 21 on the original registers that were signed in the church, but it's been miscopied somewhere along the line. If your copy came from the GRO, they don't have any actual originals, they have copies written out after the event, which is why all the signatures are in the same handwriting The local office holds one of the original registers, but most of them don't supply photocopies, they have to try to read the original writing, and sometimes they're on a guess because the original writing is ambiguous