Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Censuses before 1881

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 5 Jan 2004 10:31

could somebody please help me. I am now beyond the 1881 and 1901 censuses are there any earlier ones on the web, and if they aren't where do I access them I would be ever so grateful for an answer thanks Linda P

Lesley M

Lesley M Report 5 Jan 2004 12:50

There are no national censuses on the internet (that I know of), but you can sometimes find transcriptions of individual towns or even counties. Check out GENUKIs pages for the area you are interested in www(.)genuki(.)org(.)uk - remove the brackets Failing that, try posting a message on the "Records Office" board asking for a lookup. A lot of people have bought discs of census returns and are frequently prepared to check them for you. I have the 1851 census for Devon, Norfolk and Warwickshire, so if you are looking for anyone in that area, I would be happy to look. If you still have no joy, you can usually find the census records at the relevant county record office, the Family Records Centre in London, and I believe that they may hold them at the Latter-Day-Saints Family History centres.

Linda

Linda Report 5 Jan 2004 14:31

dear Lesley thank you for your offer to do a look up for me but some one has just done one on another message board. I get so excited when I find information out. thank you for the other information you gave me. I do appreciate everybodies help and advice on this site Linda P