Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where to look for birth and marriage certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennysca

Jennysca Report 5 Jan 2004 05:23

I have a George Hall born 1826(reaped from 1881 census)in Bromley, Middx, who married a Jane Hall(nee Wiles born Bow.Middx) and living in Donald Street,Bromley Middx. I have tried searches on this pair for a marriage on free bmd, have had searches done by "ONS" for 6 years in all, to no avail. The eldest daughter was born 1862(Stepney) so I have taken that into consideration.Have tried LDS online for birth of George Hall, but there could be a choice of two (being 2 years later) at two different parishes. Can anyone point me in the right direction -as I just can not get any further and I am getting totally frustrated, as I can not even find them in the 1891 census, Any ideas as to which parish I should try- pleaseee! Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, and Happy New Year to you all

Crista

Crista Report 5 Jan 2004 06:20

Hawkins, Are you sure Martha is the eldest daughter? You should ask for a look up for the 1871 or 1861 census to be sure. There could be others that have left home. Crista

Valice in

Valice in Report 5 Jan 2004 11:06

When looking for the name Wiles, bear in mind the handwriting from that era, a W and an M look almost identical, and the surname Miles might sound more correct to a transcriber than Wiles. We have found an instance of that on the LDS 1881 census. Val

Jennysca

Jennysca Report 6 Jan 2004 01:17

Thank you both for answering. I am not positive of anything anymore, I keep getting surprises. It is possible that Martha is not the eldest child!, due to the age of Martha in regards to her father. Seems rather late to start children. As for Jane Wiles, I have asked for a check on her as Wiles as this being the information on the birth certificate. Perhaps I could try Miles. As for the suggestion of 1861 and 1871 census, have you got to have an address? as I am not sure they were at Donald Street at that time. Once again thank you for answering. Kind regards Jenny