Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another conundrum, your advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mystified

Mystified Report 3 Jan 2004 13:11

see below

Mystified

Mystified Report 3 Jan 2004 13:12

I am merrily sailing along with the STORK branch........... my Ggrandad Matthew, I have all his children, his wife, his marriage cert. even his death cert. His place of birth... East Ness, Yorkshire I sent for his birth cert. the other day just to complete the collection. BIG mistake. I have info stating his father was Thomas and his mother was Jane KNEEESHAW. His marriage cert. says his father was Thomas. Now on Matthew's birth cert. it states his father is Matthew, mother Jane KNEESHAW. Everything else matches. Matthew as father was written by mistake? But it also says the 'X' is the mark of Matthew (father) So they make the same mistake twice? Any suggestions? John

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 3 Jan 2004 13:24

I can think of three explanations. One - someone misheard something and Matthew ended up being erroneously put down as the father. Being illiterate, none of the family could correct the information. Two - someone mistranscribed something. Is your cert a photocopy of the original? Three - Matthew snr died and his widow remarried Thomas while the baby was young. Thomas may have been a step-father but if he brought the child up he may have been the real father in everyone's eyes. Of course, this would only work is Jane remarried her husband's brother or something. Unlikely but it happens.

Janet

Janet Report 3 Jan 2004 17:47

I agree with Amanda. Someone misunderstood what the childs name was to be and wrote the fathers name instead of the childs, compounded by the fact that the father left his mark so was obviously illiterate. I would say you have the right person, John.

Mystified

Mystified Report 3 Jan 2004 18:05

Thanks for your ideas. Kathryn 1. That is my main theory, I think 2. The cert. is a GRO copy of the original 3. Also thought about this a death of Matthew. However although a possibility Matthew was born Sept. 1859 and is living with Thomas and Jane in 1861 census. Has made me think though that I must see if I can find a death for Matthew snr in that time, just in case. Amanda, good point, I never thought about that. He has 2 sisters, Fanny 1856 and Sarah Ann 1857 Who was their father as they were born before Matthew assuming I have the right family? I wonder what the family looks like in 1871, Yorkshire? It’s a problem as I would hate to put them on my tree if they are wrong. Any help appreciated, John

Janet

Janet Report 3 Jan 2004 18:11

Just had a look on the familysearch site and found Fanny Stork b 1856 to Thomas Stork and Jane. No surname for her I'm afraid but it looks like the same family. Had another look and clicked on the batch no. Both Fanny and Sarah were there with the above parents and also Matthew!!! You may also find that Thomas had a brother Robert who was married to a Sarah. They were also there under the same batch no.

Mystified

Mystified Report 3 Jan 2004 19:06

Thanks Janet, Yes I have just checked again re Fanny and Sarah. I also know about Robert, Thomas's brother. They seem to always live next door to each other and in 1891 Robert's widow lives with Thomas and Jane. You see it all fits apart from Matthew's birth cert. which I only ordered to get the set. What confusion!!!!! I thought this was one bit of my family I could put to bed so to speak. It would appear that his father was entered incorrectly? The other problem I have is in 1881 I am not sure if I have found him. There is another Matthew born roughly the same place and time and I can only find 1 and I am not sure which one that is. Also the Marriage of Thomas and Jane in 1855 gives different ages ie 30 and 29, she being the youngest but the 2 on IGI says she is older by 3 yrs. I am now wondering if I have the right Jane etc. Oh the joy of genealogy. this is what makes it interesting. John

Janet

Janet Report 3 Jan 2004 19:32

Have you access to the LDS records? For a small fee of about £3 you can order the parish records and census records for every country that they transcribed. They are available to you for about 3-4 weeks. It might be worth your while ringing them. Jan from Gravesend, Kent.

Mystified

Mystified Report 4 Jan 2004 07:59

Yes I will do that. What a conundrum!!!!!!! Everything was going fine as well. Had even found my grandads birth on the GRO after months of looking.............. it was spelt wrong!!!!!!! John