Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

your advice PLEASE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 26 Dec 2003 17:38

iN 1891 would it be likely for a woman to be a draughtsman.

Stan

Stan Report 26 Dec 2003 18:40

Hi Siobhan I would say it was highly unlikely. Women were respected for their drawing ability, but draughtsmen were employed in the highly masculine world of Architects' and Engineers' offices. Regards Stan

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 26 Dec 2003 18:50

Thats what I thought You see i was looking for James F Mansfield in the 1891 census and there isn't one. But there is a Janet F Mansfield who is the right age on the original document it does look like Janet as well, but the occupation is a draughtsman. I have a feeling this is possibly my James, if it is he isn't with his parents so I don't know how to confirm it is him.

June

June Report 26 Dec 2003 19:03

Siobhan, have you checked to see if there is a record of birth for a Janet>

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 26 Dec 2003 19:07

no didn't think of that, FREEBMD isn't complete though, so wouldn't be able to fully confirm. I have overspent this month already, so cannot check on 1837online. will check freebmd though thanks for the tip.

Carol

Carol Report 26 Dec 2003 19:33

Siobahn, on the original document, have you checked where the age is entered. There is a column for male and female.

Stan

Stan Report 26 Dec 2003 20:56

All ages for household are in female column. Stan