Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage registers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Grahame

Grahame Report 25 Dec 2003 10:16

I read a reply on this site that although registration started in 1837, it wasn't compulsory to register births until about 1873. Does anyone know if this is true for marriages and deaths? If you think I'm sad for being on GC on Christmas Day its because i've been told 'GET OUT OF MY WAY!', so what else is there to do? Merry Christmas.

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 25 Dec 2003 13:28

I know that there was a Birth and Deaths Registration Act passed in 1874, which meant that it was the responsibility of the public to report births or deaths at local register offices. Lucia

Stan

Stan Report 25 Dec 2003 20:04

Hi, Grahame The Act of 1874 mentioned by Lucia made registration compulsory from 1875, certainly for births, and I believe for deaths also. Marriages had been required to be notified to the local Registrar's office from 1837, having been required to be registered in Churches prior to that date. Best wishes Stan

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 25 Dec 2003 23:36

Registration was compulsory for all BMDs since 1837. But you had to pay to register, and there were no recriminations if you failed to do so. Let's face it, for poor families with six kids to feed, registration fees for the birth of a seventh baby are not going to be a high priority. The 1874 Act meant that you could be fined if you didn't register an event. It wasn't perfect but it was the prod some people needed.

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 26 Dec 2003 11:52

Even after 1875 some births were not registered. Also some people gave false dates for births if they were outside the 42 day limit to avoid the fine! Bob