Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

An addict's prayer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annie

Annie Report 20 Dec 2003 20:26

I need help! See below

Annie

Annie Report 20 Dec 2003 20:26

I went on Genesconnnected (just the once you understand) I had a little family tree but now it’s out of hand I started with some 30 folks but somehow it has grown And last I looked the branches had their own seeds they had sown. From Allard up to Yeomans, the branches have spread wide With Horswells, Stiffs and Vanstones all across the countryside There’s Gau and Pearce and Snelling with a Church and Priest as well And in my tree there’s one Rose Lee – and that she could foretell! The fee to join is very fair, this hobby ‘s cheap to do I thought, HOWEVER, now I find it simply isn’t true. Free BMD is really free, and wonderful to use And stuff on LDS is great and free to peruse. But then the bug just grips you – sneak a peek when you get up Another peek before work starts, your tea cold in the cup You rush back home at five o’clock, (another little peek) And suddenly it’s bedtime – woops I’ve lost another week. You spend a little money getting certs from GRO The pile of papers by your pc starts to grow and grow The space for life outside GC appears somewhat restricted Oh help me! I find I must admit I’m totally addicted.

S

S Report 20 Dec 2003 21:35

Just finished transcribing some names for FreeBMD and, cross-eyed, decided to visit this message board for some light relief. Your poem actually made me laugh out loud! I got into this hobby four years ago when I first bought a decent computer. It came with a family tree program as part of the software bundle, so to make my family happy, I decided to scan and store as much of the 'paperwork' I'd acquired over the years on to the hard drive, the aim being to release part of the house for normal living! One of the bits of paper I decided to store was a family tree my father had given me 10 years previously. Little did I know then that I would now be surrounded by files and folders and miscellaneaous post-it notes (not to mention the boxes of other memorabilia I haven't quite decided what to do with!) I've also discovered relatives all over the world in all walks of life, found out about the fishing industry in the North East, the medieval textiles industry in North Essex, lace making in Nottingham, sea-faring in Devon, non-conformism in the C17 and C18 and so much more...... I'm even starting a part-time degree course! It's so good to know I'm not the only addict, because most of the people I know in my day-to-day life either think I'm mad or just can't see the attraction of poring through dusty old records. Merry Christmas to you all! Sue

Jan

Jan Report 20 Dec 2003 21:41

That is so spot on!! I will say this prayer everynight (If I can ever drag myself away from this comp!!) Like you all you have to do this to see why its so addictive (my husband doesn't see the attraction of hunting down dead people related ot not!) if your like me its Ill just do a bit more then 5 hours later you think mmmmm I really must get going to bed! Fantastic poem Ann . Merry Xmas Jan x