Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Australian Birth records.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 20 Dec 2003 16:30

Can anyone suggest where I can find out exactly where in Oz my husbands great gran was born. Her name was Elizabeth Matthews, born around 1846, daughter of Ann Clarke and Charles? Matthews.On the 1891 and 1901 census for Manchester it gives her birth place only as Southern Australia. She married in Manchester in 1876 to Edward Garnett, and died there in 1927, but her early life is a mystery. Thankyou, and have a great Christmas everyone. Sheila.

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 20 Dec 2003 18:48

hi sheila ive just had a look on the australian vital records disc and there are quite a few elizabeth matthews ,but not born in 1846.there arent any with a dad and mum called charles? and ann elizabeth matthews born 1845 new south wales father edmund matthews mother elizabeth susie

Sheila

Sheila Report 20 Dec 2003 21:15

Hi Susie, Thanks for your input.Have had a quick e mail with my brother in law, who thinks Elizabeths father was not Charles but may have been Edward born 1820 (Charles was his brother) but her mother definately was Ann Clark born in 1822 and married in 1840 but place unknown,and various records have Elizabeth born from 1843 to 1846. The 1881 census has south Australia and the 1891 and 1901 say Southern Australia, and its a big place eh!! Thankyou for checking for me, and I'll keep the info on file. and hope to piece more together, as I find out more...more difficult when its my husbands family, as havent got the same family memories. Have a great Christmas, and thanks again. Sheila.

Val :~)   from West Wirral

Val :~) from West Wirral Report 23 Dec 2003 22:15

Hi Sheila, Can you please tell me how you managed to get the Census for Australia please, which web site? I have been trying to find my Grandfather born in Sydney in 1881 but he dosen't seem to exist!! either over there, or here, he came over to Manchester after WW1 married and died in 1927.I know nothing else.!!!! Merry Christmas to you- Val