Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Could I be cheeky (as it's nearly Christmas?)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 17 Dec 2003 18:39

Hi! I'm having a bit of trouble locating my Chapmans! I received the marriage certificate of my g-grandfather, Ed(ward?) Chapman (b. 1875c), which confirms his father's name as Edmund Chapman. I can't find a birth certificate for Edward anywhere, so I'm wondering if that was his name at birth. I would be eternally grateful if somebody would look for Edmund Chapman (b. 1845c, Wickham Kent, occupation: Plasterer) on the 1881 or 1891 census to see if Edward is living there with him? In 1896 they were living in South Norwood, in 1901 Croydon. Many thanks in advance, Karen

Hilary

Hilary Report 17 Dec 2003 18:58

Could this be them? It's not quite right but a possible? Dwelling: 78 Pier Road Census Place: Gillingham, Kent, England Marr Age Sex Birthplace Edmond CHAPMAN M 33 M Ely, Cambridge Rel: Head Occ: Rigger Edmond CHAPMAN 5 M New Brompton, Kent, Rel: Son Occ: Scholar

Valerie

Valerie Report 17 Dec 2003 19:06

Hi Karen, It doesn't answer your query but I had an Edward/Edmund mix-up. I was looking to trace someone further back and one record had her father as Edward and one as Edmund - obviously a handwriting thing. I suppose I'm saying maybe you have to look at both possibilities. Merry Christmas and good luck, Valerie.

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 17 Dec 2003 19:07

Could this be Edmund... CHAPMAN, Edmund Christening Gender: Male Birth Date: 12 Mar 1845 Christening Date: 14 Mar 1845 Recorded in: Cliffe, Kent, England Collection: BTs Father: Robert CHAPMAN Mother: Elizabeth GUY Source: FHL Film 1469335 Dates: 1845 - 1849

Karen

Karen Report 17 Dec 2003 20:09

Hilary / Valerie / Linda Thank you all so much for your help! Not sure if this would be the correct Edmund on 1881, although I will look into this further. I think that maybe Edmund didn't register his children at birth (there were 10 of them on the 1901 census!), and not sure when mandatory registration came into force. Linda: I do believe this would be my g-g grandfather's christening records - thanks for finding this. Could I ask where you found the information? The source may be useful to me in the future. Thanks again all, Happy Christmas Karen