Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please advise, i'm losing the will to research.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Belle56

Belle56 Report 16 Dec 2003 07:22

Is it just my computer or is there a problem with the Freebmd site, everytime i put in a search and get the results, if i find anyone interesting and click on their names, when i try to go back to my list, the message i get is "page expired" and it tells me i have to resubmit my information or press refresh key, and when you do that you get a blank screen, i know i'm not very good with computers but this is silly, i have been researching for about 6 months now and it has only just started to happen over the last couple of weeks, and i am losing interest, every search seem to take so long, or am i doing something wrong. Please Help............. Love April.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 16 Dec 2003 07:37

I had the same prob yesterday but seems ok now. Liz, in rural Norfolk.

Crista

Crista Report 16 Dec 2003 07:43

April, You need to clean out your cache. In Internet Explorer, go to Tools -> Internet Options and then "Delete Files" in the temporary Internet Files section. Wait for the hour glass to go away and click on Okay. Finally, close Internet Explorer Crista

Belle56

Belle56 Report 16 Dec 2003 07:58

Thanks girls, Crista, although i am mainly on blueyonder broadband i also have aol running along side this, when i go into internet explorer i get the aol homepage and the programme is not responding when i try to delete files, does this make sense, i'm next to usless with computers, should i try again. Thanks April.

Belle56

Belle56 Report 16 Dec 2003 08:13

ps. Just retried to delete temporary files on blueyonder, but still no response, no hour glass, nothing, i think i will wait till more knowledgeable hubbie gets home. Many thanks, at least i know i can stop this happening. Love April.

Crista

Crista Report 16 Dec 2003 08:58

April, What browser is showing the "expired page" page message? Internet Explorer or the AOL one? Crista

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 16 Dec 2003 09:03

Don't want to start any arguments April but I have blueyonder broadband and am a little puzzled as to why anyone would want to run AOL along side it or anywhere near it. It's asking for trouble. Bob

Belle56

Belle56 Report 16 Dec 2003 10:07

Hi Robert, we were on aol for a long time and really loved the service it provided, but unfortunatly we have a telewest phone and tv package and could only update to broadband if we had a BT phone line, so we went back to blueyonder, which personally we both loath, but when we went to cancel aol, they said we could have 2 months free internet connection to run alongside blueyonder, and they use the broadband connection to do this, apparantly, as you can proberly tell i'm not a technophobe or a good speller, so thats how we have both, well until christmas eve that is when the 2 months runs out. Hope you understand it, cos i don't. Love April.

Belle56

Belle56 Report 16 Dec 2003 10:11

Sorry Crista, both the aol and the blueyonder shows programme not responding. April.

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 16 Dec 2003 10:16

April Don't know how to solve youproblem but I do you need to some how do as Crista advises and get rid of temp files . I had this problem a while ago and by deleting temp files resolved it!!! I have blueyonder but not broadband and I'm having no problems. Shelli

Belle56

Belle56 Report 16 Dec 2003 10:26

Thanks Shelli, as i said earlier i will leave it to more experienced hubbie, then if anything goes wrong he can't but proberbly will blame me. Thanks for the info everybody. Love April.

Katwin

Katwin Report 16 Dec 2003 15:38

Hi April, I am also on AOL and to delete temporary files I go into Start, Settings, Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files, Temporary Internet Files. Also to do a further spring-clean of your system, click on Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup. Once you have done this click on Disk Defragmenter. Also delete all old e-mails. This should really clean-up your system!! By the way, I'm not a computer-buff either, so if anyone else knows of anything else I have omitted,, please let us know. As long as its just the will to research you're losing!!!! Kind regards, Kathy