Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nuns

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 15 Dec 2003 17:56

Could anyone tell me if when nuns die they are registered in their original names or the names they take when they enter the convent? I am looking for Mary Willison, born c1878/9 who may or may not have become a nun.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 15 Dec 2003 18:30

I dont know about in days gone by, but nowadays when we carry out funerals of nuns that pass away, the name on the name plate (which should tie up with the paperwork, therefore registration etc) would be the name by which they are known in the convent or order to which they belong. I assume this is because when they take holy orders they relinquish their former life, and take on a new name and way of life. Therefore for example if Sister Mary Joseph dies, then Sister Mary Joseph is buried (usually within the confines of the convent where she resided as a member). Modern day nuns who work outside in the community are usually members of a community, and perhaps they retain their given christian names. Of course, it should be remembered that some orders are far stricter than others. Hope this is helpful. Jacqui

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 15 Dec 2003 22:26

Jacqui is right; nuns abandon their former identities for good once they take Holy Orders. I have no idea if there are any lists of people who went into convents, and unless you applied to the actual convent in question then I don't know how you'll solve this one. Even then I daresay some may be far less helpful than others.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 16 Dec 2003 04:00

Barbara, I used to work for an insurance agency; our biggest client was the Catholic Church. I am fairly certain (in California, at least) that each Diocese had a listing of "personnel". If you know where your Mary lived, you might try the local Diocese. I think the records in California went back fairly far, as they had to insure (medical and dental) their priests and nuns. (Of course, "fairly far" in California means about 100 years.) Good luck.

Joan

Joan Report 16 Dec 2003 08:23

Although the name on the coffin would be the religious name I 'm pretty sure convents would abide by legal requirements and get a death certificate in the legal name. Tyr deaths? Or try convents in the area she may have been a nun. Joan in Warwick

Barbara

Barbara Report 16 Dec 2003 22:15

Thank you everyone for your info.