Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Consumption: modern terminology?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 15 Dec 2003 11:09

I received the death certificate on Saturday for an ancestor who died in 1838 of consumption aged 24. This term is no longer used medically, what would the modern equivalent(s) be?

Linda

Linda Report 15 Dec 2003 11:14

I think It refers to TB (vague memories from my nursing days) Any way I have always assumed that it was TB Linda P

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 15 Dec 2003 11:52

It is definitley TB. it was the biggest killer in history before antibiotics. (Chopin died of it) Bob

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 15 Dec 2003 15:12

Definitely Tuberculosis, but I believe when termed as consumption, it refers to tuberculosis of the lungs. You can get TB elsewhere in the body. My own sister contracted TB of the bone, and I have heard of it in the bladder...mostly curable these days thank goodness. Dierdre X

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 15 Dec 2003 16:15

Yes that's right TB of the lymph Nodes was called scrofula. It can affect many parts of the body including the bones which how it is Known to have been around for thousands of years. So consumption is pulmonary TB. Bob

nic87

nic87 Report 15 Dec 2003 16:17

Definitely TB- we did about this in school history lessons!

Linda & Tim

Linda & Tim Report 15 Dec 2003 20:14

If you haven't already found it, there's a brilliant website which helps with queries like this: http://www.paul_smith.doctors.org.uk/ArchaicMedicalTerms.htm

John

John Report 16 Dec 2003 20:49

How the h--l do you pronounce phthisis, or is this a bit of a leg pull ? John R

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 16 Dec 2003 22:20

Maybe this is how you pronounce phthisis! Dierdre ;-))

Carol

Carol Report 16 Dec 2003 22:47

John, I think it is pronounced as it is spelled F Th eye sis

BrianW

BrianW Report 17 Dec 2003 10:03

Thanks, everybody. She left three young kids. I don't know if the husband remarried, but his name was Robert Hamilton so fairly common and might take a bit of finding.