Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where To Now?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 7 Dec 2003 20:19

Hi Guys, So I've made lot's of trips to the Family Records Office and got some good information. Now I'm a little stuck. I've reached the point where I'm looking for GGG Grandparents. I know they more than likely were born pre 1837 and I don't know where to look now. Any help greatly appreciated. Naomi

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 7 Dec 2003 20:38

your main option now would be Parish Registers. Have you looked on www(.)familysearch(.)org they cover alot of PRE 1837 records.

Stan

Stan Report 7 Dec 2003 20:48

Hi, Naomi Start from what you know. Take things like age at death for birth or christening date, Census data for place of birth and also for age (with a pinch of salt perhaps), maiden name of mother on birth certificates, names and occupations of fathers on marriage certificates. See if any of these come up on IGI, the International Genealogical Index produced by the LDS (the Latter Day Saints, or Mormon, Church). They have recorded lots of Parish Records, mostly baptisms and marriages. These will be your next most likely source. Note, however, that the LDS members have also entered some data as individuals, and sometimes this contains a bit of guesswork if they hadn't time to find the person they were looking for (These are generally number-only codes). Hugh Wallis has indexed the batches of Parish Records photographed for the IGI (a letter and number code), and on his web site you can look up a place to see if its records are there, and what years are covered. If a family stayed in one place, these are very useful, as you can find all children of a particular pair of parents, or at least of a father of a particular name for earlier records. FamilyHistoryOnline contains some burial records which may be useful for some parts of the Country. It is a pay-per-entry site. In the end, however, you will need to check the copies of the actual Parish Records, which can be found on microfilm or microfiche at the County Records Office for the area, and at main libraries. The LDS Church also has many of these films, which they can make available on request at some of their Churches. The extra information in the originals, such as addresses or occupations, can make all the difference to getting the right person if a name is quite common. I hope this helps a bit. Regards Stan