Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Snargate Jent

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kay

Kay Report 6 Dec 2003 14:23

My 2xG Grandfather is on the 1881 census listed as a lodger in Late poor house Snargate Jent. Does anyone know where Late is (I'm presuming Kent as that is where the rest of the family were) and was Snargate Jent the name of the poor house, or could it be mistranscribed as supposed to be Margate Kent??? Any ideas Kay

Bob

Bob Report 6 Dec 2003 14:31

There is a Snargate in Kent...See this site for more info: http://www.villagenet[.]co.uk/rotherlevels/villages/snargate.php "Late" could mean that he was "lately" at that address. There are poorhouses there. Bob

Kay

Kay Report 6 Dec 2003 14:34

Bob, Just tried that site and it looks as if it's down for some reason.I'll try later - thanks

Bob

Bob Report 6 Dec 2003 14:39

Kay Did you take the brackets out?

Kay

Kay Report 6 Dec 2003 15:01

Bob Just tried again, I must have got the message before you finished typing and ended up somewhere else. Thanks for that - it looks a good site.

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 6 Dec 2003 18:20

Snargate is definitely Kent, on Romney Marsh, a few miles from me. A very good friend lives there so email me or let me know if I can help you! The church is in very good condition as is the cemetery and I even know the vicar as a social friend so what can we do??!!

Kay

Kay Report 7 Dec 2003 10:05

Hi Helen, I've sent you a mail about this and the Rigdens Kay