Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

crematorium

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heidemarie

Heidemarie Report 4 Dec 2003 22:45

How do check if someone was cremated? I know the years and the names of the people. There is only two crematoriums in manchester so they have to have been cremated in either one of them but don't know to proceed.

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Dec 2003 23:21

Blackley Crem/Cemetery Office Staff very helpful folk. Worth a try.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 5 Dec 2003 08:06

Just out of interest, when did the cremations take place? Some crematoria nowadays are a bit "iffy" about giving out information - Data Protection Act etc, but if it was some time ago then there shouldn't be a problem - the staff keep Day Books and they will simply look up the year and the surname and provide the info for you - probably wont give any other info though such as name of applicant, address of deceased etc. as it could be deemed as breaching the Act. another alternative could be to approach local funeral directors in the area where the deceased lived - but there again, client confidentiality might kick in. worth a try though. good luck Jacqui

Chris

Chris Report 5 Dec 2003 08:10

Hi, my grandfather was cremated in New Zealand - guess it's the same worldwide. I rang the crematorium - only two in Auckland and they looked up their records and they could even tell me when he was cremated and that his ashes were scattered at sea. He was a Danish seaman so it was appropriate. They also probably have an email address. Christine.

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 5 Dec 2003 08:47

The Data Protection Act only applies to living persons. Crematoriums should have a register. Ask about any search fee first. Bob

Zoe

Zoe Report 5 Dec 2003 14:45

Data protection act also only applies to records stored electronically - so if it's still in old book form it won't apply

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 5 Dec 2003 17:17

When I mentioned the Data Protection Act I was actually thinking about the name and address of the applicant for the cremation. All information provided to funeral directors by their clients is held in confidence and such information is not readily to anyone who might ring to enquire. Similarly, that information is passed to the crematorium at the time of the application to cremate - therefore the information contained on the forms concerning the applicant is protected by the Data Protection Act. I assumed that the original enquiry would have lead to the question "who applied for the cremation to take place?" as it would seem to be irrelevant to me to know whether someone was either buried or cremated, and if cremated where this took place, unless one wanted information concerning the person who arranged the cremation. Do you see what I'm getting at? Jacqui

Chris

Chris Report 5 Dec 2003 18:57

Hi, I enquired because I had photographed my other 3 grandparents graves and I guess quite often when someone has found a death record they don't know whether they have been buried or cremated and most of the other information is on the death certificate. Christine