Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What records aren't on the IGI?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joan

Joan Report 1 Dec 2003 08:50

A recent thread about the VRI made me wonder what records aren't on the IGI....I'm thinking English Parish Records personally as that is where I'm stuck...,but any. Perhaps if we all put together any information we have it would be helpful? Joan

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Dec 2003 09:11

Joan The simple answer is, an awful lot. Suffolk in my experience is hardly covered at all. Some areas of Norfolk too. The IGI is only a guide and should always be treated as such. I would doubt that any county has total coverage. Margaret

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 1 Dec 2003 10:45

beware that the Hugh Wallis list isn't up-to-date, new batches do get added. It's true that many of the "extracted" batches (the ones on the Hugh Wallis list) are full of holes. This is the result of duplicates being removed. Records that were systematically transcribed from the registers were dropped from the database because they were duplicates of records which had already been submitted in "contributed" batches (the all-numeric numbers) by church members researching their own families. It's often said that when you use a batch number you get the entire register, but sadly it's not always so

Joan

Joan Report 1 Dec 2003 15:22

Thanks everyone. I see the whole thing is even more complex than I thought. I'll have to somehow find out a little more about my 'brickwall' ancestor before I begin going through parish registers. Joan

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 1 Dec 2003 16:34

Hi Joan. The LDS Church has been copying records worldwide. (My dad volunteered at an LDS Church for several years, and at that time, they were still copying records.) The LDS internet site has wonderful records. However, if you are fortunate enough to visit an LDS location, you may view additional records. My dad ordered film for Sussex and Surrey records. He was able to photocopy ancestors' marriage records, which included their signatures! Also, when viewing birth records, some notations were made on the original document that don't show on the internet IGI's. Burial records are also available at the LDS locations! Lastly, some birth records from the 1800's include the husband's occupation. Some churches in England did not allow the LDS to photocopy their records! My ancestor's church did not allow this, but one gentleman in the church spent many years putting all of the church's records on computer and I was able to purchase my family's information. Someone told me that Canada has not allowed the LDS to copy church information (for religious reasons). Not sure if this is correct, but that would explain why there are so few Canadian records. I know there are many mistakes in IGI records, but as far as records copied straight from the Sussex and Surrey churches -- I've found them to be 100% accurate. Hope this helps.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Dec 2003 19:19

Its my belief that IGI records were generally transcribed by descendants who are members of the Latter Day Saints Church. These ancestors are then baptised into the Mormon church - hence some English Parish and Canadian Churches don't allow the transcription of their records. This would explain why a lot of records aren't on the site - If you havent got/had a member of the Latter Day saints in your family, the records won't be there! The 1881 Census generally includes everyone, as it was easily transcribed. There is only one surname in my family of heathens on the site, that of one of my GGG grandfathers, back to 1746.

Keith

Keith Report 1 Dec 2003 22:46

Maggie. Not true unfortunately. Records are transcribed by members of the Mormon Church, not necessarily relatives. Coverage is scant, we've been lucky in that certain churches in Liverpool are covered, ie about 4, the rest aren't, so as you can see it's a bit pot luck. Keith

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 1 Dec 2003 23:47

The records I have found on IGI relating to my tree have so far been accurate when checked against parish records. I tend to steer clear of the ones without the "m" or "c" batch numbers as some of them look a bit iffy. The site is certainly a good kick off point if like me and many others, you work full time, and are unable to get to record centres etc. Some Ancestral File records have been helpful as well. Pauline

Joan

Joan Report 2 Dec 2003 09:14

Pauline, That has been my experience too. And I must say that the basis of all my research has been the IGI site....but I do carefully check from the parish records and I have so far not had any Mormon relatives'contribution...all parish records. The IGI site has given me so much satisfaction...well pleasure !...thanks to all the transcribers. It's only now that I've reached my brickwall that I need to ask what isn't on. Can anyone tell me any (C.ofE) parish churches in Warwickshire or Worcestershire whose records have not been put on the IGI? Thanks everyone Joan

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 2 Dec 2003 09:15

Peterborough is not covered as apparently the Bishop would not allow the LDS access to the church records - hence my brickwall (more like solid concrete). Northamptonshire as a whole is very well covered. Rosemary