Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dating old handwriting -- anyone know how?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 30 Nov 2003 21:14

Please see below.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 30 Nov 2003 21:16

I have a photocopy of a wonderful old piece of paper, listing my ancestors' births, relationships, deaths and how old they were when they died, starting in 1797 and ending in 1851. I would like to narrow down who may have written the information. The person had beautiful penmanship so deciphering is not a problem. I've searched Google for "old handwriting" and "dating old handwriting" and searched Cyndi's list. The sites I tried all mentioned how to read the writing; one site broke down the writing by centuries. Would anyone know of a site that could narrow down the writing style more than just by centuries? Thank you.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 30 Nov 2003 21:52

Hi, I have a book called "A Secretary Hand ABC Book" which I use ISBN 0950836605. Gwynne

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 30 Nov 2003 22:08

Thanks, Gwynne. So used to searching the internet now, didn't even think of bookstores or the library. I shall try that as soon as I can. Thank you! :o)

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 2 Dec 2003 17:05

nudge, please. The libraries in our town are fairly small and don't cover this topic. (Unable to try neighbouring cities at this time.)